SIR, — We have watched with increasing concern and frustration the pressure and stress which the secondary-school transfer process has imposed on our grandson and daughter who have the misfortune — as far as this process is concerned — to live in Wheath
SIR, - We have watched with increasing concern and frustration the pressure and stress which the secondary-school transfer process has imposed on our grandson and daughter who have the misfortune - as far as this "process" is concerned - to live in Wheathampstead.
Parents are encouraged to make a reasoned choice of schools for their child only to find in many cases that the choice is totally ignored without any satisfactory explanation. Add to that the unhelpful and apparently-inconsistent way in which the process is managed - invitations to meetings suddenly withdrawn, contradictory information from Herts County Council staff and a convoluted system for continued interest and appeals to name but a few examples - and you have what seems to us a perfect recipe for creating the maximum anxiety and uncertainty for the parents and children concerned.
While our grandson has eventually been offered a place at a chosen school, many of his friends are still enmeshed in the process causing increasing worry and uncertainty for both children and parents - an additional burden in SATs week. A fairer and more-responsive system is urgently needed to avoid yet another shambles next year.
SUE and GRAHAM DANBURY,
You may also want to watch:
Salisbury Avenue, St Albans.
- 1 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 4 Drug users at Telford Court flats face tough police action
- 5 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 6 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 7 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 8 Police hunt man suspected of breaking into Cathedral collection boxes
- 9 April 12: St Albans shops re-open
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area