SIR – Madeleine Burton s article on Anne Main s expenses had a bit of a spin on it when it came to Mrs Main s comments. According to Madeleine, Mrs Main said that they (the Committee on Standards and Privileges) did conclude that I need to make a payment
SIR - Madeleine Burton's article on Anne Main's expenses had a bit of a spin on it when it came to Mrs Main's comments. According to Madeleine, Mrs Main said that "they (the Committee on Standards and Privileges) did conclude that I need to make a payment to reflect this personal benefit to me as a parent".
Well, not quite. Having read the entire report I can tell you that what the Committee actually said is that "Mrs Main has not recognised or accepted the distinction between meeting an adult daughter's living costs from private funds and meeting them from the public purse".
Also, no mention of the fact that the Committee has invited Mrs Main to apologise in writing for these breaches.
And it's �7,100 not �7,000.
You may also want to watch:
Windridge Close, St Albans
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 4 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 5 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 8 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 9 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe