SIR, — I must express empathy with the young man who was subjected to excessive harassment by First Capital Connect (FCC) over a £3.50 excess fee which, according to your report (Herts Advertiser, June 19) was due only because his journey from St Pancras
SIR, - I must express empathy with the young man who was subjected to excessive harassment by First Capital Connect (FCC) over a £3.50 excess fee which, according to your report (Herts Advertiser, June 19) was due only because his journey from St Pancras International was a few minutes the wrong side of 7pm.
This surcharge for all of us is an outrageous abuse of FCC's monopoly on the route: they do not levy it south of the Thames where there is competition.
I travel to London at least once a week, usually well after the morning Travelcard restriction but find it difficult to finish meetings in time for the last qualifying faster train to Harpenden which is not long after 4pm: a three-hour wait at St Pancras is unacceptable
Recently, travelling to London in the late afternoon. I witnessed a posse of 12 FCC ticket inspectors and four PCSOs (Police Community Support Officers) at Harpenden Station waiting to pounce on any offending Travelcard returner who had broken the rules. How many £3.50s did that cost?
You may also want to watch:
I note that the FCC spokesperson claimed that the need for the excess charge is to limit capacity problems. On the front page of the same Herts Advertiser you report the forthcoming introduction of a new fleet of trains to increase capacity on the route. Presumably the charge will then cease?
- 1 Five Guys coming to St Albans
- 2 GP to retire after 52 years in the NHS
- 3 St Albans named among best UK places to raise a baby
- 4 Property Spotlight: A huge family home on a sought-after St Albans street
- 5 St Albans MP describes fire safety row as ‘national scandal of epic proportions’
- 6 Why have police failed to prosecute over destruction of Smallford Pits wildlife site?
- 7 Hertfordshire estate agency chain acquires local rival
- 8 Housing boom sees St Albans homes earning more than their owners
- 9 Council elections: who are St Albans Conservative candidates?
- 10 Youth engagement event marks Stephen Lawrence Day in St Albans
Roundwood Park, Harpenden.