SIR, – I warmly congratulate the students of the BeauSandVer consortium who have just successfully completed the very demanding International Baccalaureate course. However, I must take issue with the article and assertions by their head teachers which ar
SIR, - I warmly congratulate the students of the BeauSandVer consortium who have just successfully completed the very demanding International Baccalaureate course.
However, I must take issue with the article and assertions by their head teachers which are woefully inaccurate. Alan Gray of Sandringham asserts that "these are the first students from St Albans to benefit from this fantastic qualification". They are most emphatically not. Oaklands College pioneered this qualification in this area, running the diploma course highly successfully from 1991 to 2002 for many local and international students.
I would also dispute that taking the IB is "a leap of faith" as Mr Gray claims. The qualification has been established for many years and is highly valued, often over A levels, for its breadth and depth by top universities both here and abroad. In what sense was it a "gamble"? Check your facts, heads.
Students, I'm afraid you have not "made history by being the first ever St Albans pupils to complete the qualification" but you have done extremely well. I am sure you will go on to achieve more success.
You may also want to watch:
Former IB Coordinator
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 4 Shop Local: Mums team up for pop-up opening on April 12
- 5 Turning over a new leaf as lockdown ends
- 6 Food, glorious food! Tom Kerridge's tasty menus announced for Alfresco Diner in St Albans
- 7 Doors opening again for Harpenden retailers on April 12
- 8 'Hero without a cape' comes to the aid of Park Street resident
- 9 Community opens book shed to share the gift of reading
- 10 Saints in the City initiative will bring sports projects to local community