SIR – I think that it is about time that we started to appreciate our firefighters as much as our soldiers. I am now hearing that soldiers will get free tickets for gigs when they are home on leave. They get medals for going on a tour – whether it is dang
SIR - I think that it is about time that we started to appreciate our firefighters as much as our soldiers.
I am now hearing that soldiers will get free tickets for gigs when they are home on leave.
They get medals for going on a tour - whether it is dangerous or not. And what do our firefighters get? Nought.
I have been monitoring the progress of a young soldier who has been in the army now for about two and a half years.
You may also want to watch:
Fair enough - he did his tour in Iraq. He has since had time off on leave. He has had holiday time over Christmas, New Year and Easter.
He tells everyone he is in the army and gets lots of discounts for things such as hotels, restaurants, etc., because he tells them: "This is a special trip as I am on leave."
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 7 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 10 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
He seems to have an extraordinary amount of long weekends not doing much.
I do not believe that they are at risk on a daily basis.
Whereas our firefighters risk their lives every time they get a "shout". Most fire stations are run 24 hours a day, seven days a week and those that are not have retained fire crew on call at all times.
So let's have more thought and consideration for firefighters.
Cell Barnes Close