SIR – I think that it is about time that we started to appreciate our firefighters as much as our soldiers. I am now hearing that soldiers will get free tickets for gigs when they are home on leave. They get medals for going on a tour – whether it is dang
SIR - I think that it is about time that we started to appreciate our firefighters as much as our soldiers.
I am now hearing that soldiers will get free tickets for gigs when they are home on leave.
They get medals for going on a tour - whether it is dangerous or not. And what do our firefighters get? Nought.
I have been monitoring the progress of a young soldier who has been in the army now for about two and a half years.
You may also want to watch:
Fair enough - he did his tour in Iraq. He has since had time off on leave. He has had holiday time over Christmas, New Year and Easter.
He tells everyone he is in the army and gets lots of discounts for things such as hotels, restaurants, etc., because he tells them: "This is a special trip as I am on leave."
- 1 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 'Life-changing and life-enhancing' - St Albans woman reveals impact of Duke of Edinburgh award
- 4 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 5 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 6 Area Guide: The popular Hertfordshire town of Bishop's Stortford
- 7 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 8 Local talent packs out the bill for Harpenden festival
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Flashmob celebrates re-opening of St Albans high street
He seems to have an extraordinary amount of long weekends not doing much.
I do not believe that they are at risk on a daily basis.
Whereas our firefighters risk their lives every time they get a "shout". Most fire stations are run 24 hours a day, seven days a week and those that are not have retained fire crew on call at all times.
So let's have more thought and consideration for firefighters.
Cell Barnes Close