SIR – I think that it is about time that we started to appreciate our firefighters as much as our soldiers. I am now hearing that soldiers will get free tickets for gigs when they are home on leave. They get medals for going on a tour – whether it is dang
SIR - I think that it is about time that we started to appreciate our firefighters as much as our soldiers.
I am now hearing that soldiers will get free tickets for gigs when they are home on leave.
They get medals for going on a tour - whether it is dangerous or not. And what do our firefighters get? Nought.
I have been monitoring the progress of a young soldier who has been in the army now for about two and a half years.
You may also want to watch:
Fair enough - he did his tour in Iraq. He has since had time off on leave. He has had holiday time over Christmas, New Year and Easter.
He tells everyone he is in the army and gets lots of discounts for things such as hotels, restaurants, etc., because he tells them: "This is a special trip as I am on leave."
- 1 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 2 Your school heroes - praise for teachers and support staff during third lockdown
- 3 Property Spotlight: A stunning conversion in the heart of Harpenden
- 4 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 5 COVID-19 accounted for over 15 per cent of St Albans' deaths, says ONS data
- 6 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 7 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 8 Woman loses more than £1000 in St Albans cashpoint distraction scam
- 9 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 10 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
He seems to have an extraordinary amount of long weekends not doing much.
I do not believe that they are at risk on a daily basis.
Whereas our firefighters risk their lives every time they get a "shout". Most fire stations are run 24 hours a day, seven days a week and those that are not have retained fire crew on call at all times.
So let's have more thought and consideration for firefighters.
Cell Barnes Close