SIR, — I am sorry to learn from David Purton s letter (Herts Advertiser, April 17) that he was baffled by my comments in reply to his letter of April 3. Certainly the impression I got from that letter was that he was objecting to stringent parking regula
SIR, - I am sorry to learn from David Purton's letter (Herts Advertiser, April 17) that he was baffled by my comments in reply to his letter of April 3.
Certainly the impression I got from that letter was that he was objecting to stringent parking regulations. It now appears that this was not the case and I apologise if I misconstrued his remarks.
But I think he is taking the proverbial sledgehammer in condemning St Albans District Council for giving parking attendants authority to issue "on-the-spot fines" for parking transgressors.
If one looks at Westminster City Council, probably the biggest issuer of parking tickets in the country, he will notice that their attendants/wardens are employees of the council and are not police officers.
While I have a very low regard for NCP, the fact is that our own council have appointed them as sub-contractors to enforce the council's own parking regulations and my only concern is that they may not do this with sufficient vigour. But until the council gets its act together and completes the necessary paper work it looks like being some time until the enhanced regulations may be enforceable.
I am delighted to learn that, like me, Mr Purton is a strict adherent to the council's current parking rules. His residence history marginally outscores mine but he should not be surprised that "incomers" do come in and take advantage of some of the facilities available. Would that there were more such facilities. And after all both Mr Purton and myself were "incomers" ourselves. once.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 5 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 6 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 7 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 8 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 9 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 10 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
Townsend Drive, St Albans.