SIR, — I am sorry to learn from David Purton s letter (Herts Advertiser, April 17) that he was baffled by my comments in reply to his letter of April 3. Certainly the impression I got from that letter was that he was objecting to stringent parking regula
SIR, - I am sorry to learn from David Purton's letter (Herts Advertiser, April 17) that he was baffled by my comments in reply to his letter of April 3.
Certainly the impression I got from that letter was that he was objecting to stringent parking regulations. It now appears that this was not the case and I apologise if I misconstrued his remarks.
But I think he is taking the proverbial sledgehammer in condemning St Albans District Council for giving parking attendants authority to issue "on-the-spot fines" for parking transgressors.
If one looks at Westminster City Council, probably the biggest issuer of parking tickets in the country, he will notice that their attendants/wardens are employees of the council and are not police officers.
You may also want to watch:
While I have a very low regard for NCP, the fact is that our own council have appointed them as sub-contractors to enforce the council's own parking regulations and my only concern is that they may not do this with sufficient vigour. But until the council gets its act together and completes the necessary paper work it looks like being some time until the enhanced regulations may be enforceable.
I am delighted to learn that, like me, Mr Purton is a strict adherent to the council's current parking rules. His residence history marginally outscores mine but he should not be surprised that "incomers" do come in and take advantage of some of the facilities available. Would that there were more such facilities. And after all both Mr Purton and myself were "incomers" ourselves. once.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 5 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 8 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 9 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 10 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
Townsend Drive, St Albans.