SIR - I read with interest the letter from Janey Hulme regarding a late train that disappeared from First Capital Connect s records (Train riddle, Herts Advertiser, July 16). Whilst I was lucky not to be one of the commuters stuck on this service I have
SIR - I read with interest the letter from Janey Hulme regarding a late train that "disappeared" from First Capital Connect's records (Train riddle, Herts Advertiser, July 16). Whilst I was lucky not to be one of the commuters stuck on this service I have experienced a similar probem with FCC on April 3.
A northbound train I was waiting for was nearly 20 minutes late into London and due to lots of other problems between London and St Albans was over an hour late by the time it arrived into Harpenden. The departure boards at Harpenden showed the delayed train was 59 minutes late when I disembarked and my mobile phone bill records showed the extent of the delay as I made several calls to my wife and the friends I was meeting to let them know I was running later and finally that I had arrived in Harpenden.
When I used the FCC DelayRepay on-line service to claim compensation, I was informed that the train was not recorded as late and no refund was due. No amount of persuasion was going to change their view and there is little more than can be done to appeal.
Since then, I always photograph the departure board with my mobile phone camera to show the train is more than thirty minutes late when I get to my destination, as it seems FCC's system of recording its own train arrival times at the customer service department may not be entirely honourable all the time.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
SIR - Janey Hulme is not alone in having FCC's customer services refuse to acknowledge that a train was either late or cancelled. This has also happened to me although I have always made sure of the exact train that was either cancelled or running late. She should write to or email London TravelWatch and explain the situation, including the time that she caught the train.
They will take up the case on her behalf. London TravelWatch can be contacted through their website www.londontravelwatch.org.uk or this address: London TravelWatch, 6 Middle Street, LONDON, EC1A 7JA.