Down to earth
SIR, — I read with interest —though tinged with a little sadness — your piece about the first airing of Carl Orff s Carmina Burana by St Albans Bach Choir in St Albans Abbey (Herts Advertiser, November 6). I sang for 25 years with the St Albans Bach Choir
SIR, - I read with interest -though tinged with a little sadness - your piece about the first airing of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana by St Albans Bach Choir in St Albans Abbey (Herts Advertiser, November 6).
I sang for 25 years with the St Albans Bach Choir, latterly as its vice-chairman. During this time I was closely involved with the former Dean, the late, and much-respected, Dr Peter Moore, both in Bach Choir matters and also as vice-chairman of St Albans High School of which he was chairman.
Peter was very clear that Carmina Burana "with its earthy lyrics" was not a suitable piece for performance in the Abbey and he would not permit it to be performed there.
How times have changed. To quote Cicero: "O tempora, o mores" - Oh what times, oh what customs.
You may also want to watch:
Where, oh where are today's boundaries?
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 3 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 7 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 8 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
The Warren, Harpenden.