Cyclists at risk
SIR - I was utterly appalled to read in your paper the story of young cyclist Charlie Haynes and his treatment following an accident at The Ancient Briton junction. Not only was the accident the fault of a very careless and inconsiderate driver, his subse
SIR - I was utterly appalled to read in your paper the story of young cyclist Charlie Haynes and his treatment following an accident at The Ancient Briton junction.
Not only was the accident the fault of a very careless and inconsiderate driver, his subsequent treatment by other motorists and passers by in St Albans is unforgiveable.
I cycle regularly in and around Harpenden pulling a trailer with my two under-five year olds. This in spite of, not because of, the behaviour of other road users.
We are regularly cut-up on the road, tailgated, and once when a woman almost knocked me off my bicycle when opening her car door into me I was told by her to 'get off the road'.
You may also want to watch:
I get angry and depressed by the selfish behaviour of drivers in Harpenden and make a plea to these road users to stop seeing cyclists as the enemy and consider that we are just people trying to get from A to B without wrecking the planet.
It is hard work cycling up and down the hills of our school run, but I do it because I recognise that just blithely continuing to rely on my car for short journeys is just no longer justifiable.
- 1 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 2 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 3 Brave teenager pens book on eating disorder and mental health
- 4 May 17th: Fighting Cocks landlord overjoyed to welcome customers back
- 5 May 17th: The Ivy in St Albans is ready to welcome back customers
- 6 St Albans' Caribbean community launches volcano relief fundraising campaign
- 7 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 8 Is Bricket Wood being over-developed?
- 9 May 17th: How one independent pub chain is coping
- 10 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
I wish that other motorists could appreciate this and then if cyclists were to be treated with proper consideration, others will feel safe to cycle too.
I send my very best wishes to Charlie for a speedy recovery and sincerly hope that the driver can be found and made to answer for his behaviour that day.