Cyclists at risk
SIR - I was utterly appalled to read in your paper the story of young cyclist Charlie Haynes and his treatment following an accident at The Ancient Briton junction. Not only was the accident the fault of a very careless and inconsiderate driver, his subse
SIR - I was utterly appalled to read in your paper the story of young cyclist Charlie Haynes and his treatment following an accident at The Ancient Briton junction.
Not only was the accident the fault of a very careless and inconsiderate driver, his subsequent treatment by other motorists and passers by in St Albans is unforgiveable.
I cycle regularly in and around Harpenden pulling a trailer with my two under-five year olds. This in spite of, not because of, the behaviour of other road users.
We are regularly cut-up on the road, tailgated, and once when a woman almost knocked me off my bicycle when opening her car door into me I was told by her to 'get off the road'.
You may also want to watch:
I get angry and depressed by the selfish behaviour of drivers in Harpenden and make a plea to these road users to stop seeing cyclists as the enemy and consider that we are just people trying to get from A to B without wrecking the planet.
It is hard work cycling up and down the hills of our school run, but I do it because I recognise that just blithely continuing to rely on my car for short journeys is just no longer justifiable.
- 1 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 2 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 3 Row over new barriers blocking path for wheelchair users
- 4 District's COVID cases fall below England's average for first time in a month
- 5 St Albans named among Britain’s hottest property markets
- 6 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 7 Row over charges for garden waste continues
- 8 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 9 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 10 Horse owner pleads with public not to feed equine
I wish that other motorists could appreciate this and then if cyclists were to be treated with proper consideration, others will feel safe to cycle too.
I send my very best wishes to Charlie for a speedy recovery and sincerly hope that the driver can be found and made to answer for his behaviour that day.