Cyclists at risk
SIR - I was utterly appalled to read in your paper the story of young cyclist Charlie Haynes and his treatment following an accident at The Ancient Briton junction. Not only was the accident the fault of a very careless and inconsiderate driver, his subse
SIR - I was utterly appalled to read in your paper the story of young cyclist Charlie Haynes and his treatment following an accident at The Ancient Briton junction.
Not only was the accident the fault of a very careless and inconsiderate driver, his subsequent treatment by other motorists and passers by in St Albans is unforgiveable.
I cycle regularly in and around Harpenden pulling a trailer with my two under-five year olds. This in spite of, not because of, the behaviour of other road users.
We are regularly cut-up on the road, tailgated, and once when a woman almost knocked me off my bicycle when opening her car door into me I was told by her to 'get off the road'.
You may also want to watch:
I get angry and depressed by the selfish behaviour of drivers in Harpenden and make a plea to these road users to stop seeing cyclists as the enemy and consider that we are just people trying to get from A to B without wrecking the planet.
It is hard work cycling up and down the hills of our school run, but I do it because I recognise that just blithely continuing to rely on my car for short journeys is just no longer justifiable.
- 1 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 2 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 3 Woman loses more than £1000 in St Albans cashpoint distraction scam
- 4 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 6 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 7 New rules are a further nail in the coffin for pubs
- 8 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 9 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 10 Tributes paid to former St Albans City goalkeeper Lee Bozier
I wish that other motorists could appreciate this and then if cyclists were to be treated with proper consideration, others will feel safe to cycle too.
I send my very best wishes to Charlie for a speedy recovery and sincerly hope that the driver can be found and made to answer for his behaviour that day.