SIR – With the general election fast approaching, now is the time to ask those who aspire to be our MPs in the future what they will do if they are elected. What will they do about the SAD Monstrosity ? All too often, the environment and the countryside
SIR - With the general election fast approaching, now is the time to ask those who aspire to be our MPs in the future what they will do if they are elected.
What will they do about the SAD Monstrosity ?
All too often, the environment and the countryside do not get the attention and priority they deserve from politicians, and they risk being forgotten altogether in the pre-election hubbub.
But the next five years will be a critical time if we are to protect the countryside that is valued by so many people across the UK from inappropriate and excessive development, neglect and mismanagement.
You may also want to watch:
So I am supporting the manifesto for the general election produced by the Campaign to Protect Rural England, and I have written to my local candidates calling on them to do so too.
The manifesto calls for strong, democratic planning that will protect the countryside and create vibrant urban areas, protection for our best landscapes and the Green Belts around our towns and cities, and action to tackle litter and fly-tipping in the countryside.
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 4 Shop Local: Mums team up for pop-up opening on April 12
- 5 Turning over a new leaf as lockdown ends
- 6 Food, glorious food! Tom Kerridge's tasty menus announced for Alfresco Diner in St Albans
- 7 Doors opening again for Harpenden retailers on April 12
- 8 St Albans Rainbow Trail Easter competition raises funds for Home-Start Herts
- 9 Community opens book shed to share the gift of reading
- 10 'Hero without a cape' comes to the aid of Park Street resident
For more see www.cpre.org.uk
DR ROBERT WAREING
Claudian Place, St Albans