SIR – With the general election fast approaching, now is the time to ask those who aspire to be our MPs in the future what they will do if they are elected. What will they do about the SAD Monstrosity ? All too often, the environment and the countryside
SIR - With the general election fast approaching, now is the time to ask those who aspire to be our MPs in the future what they will do if they are elected.
What will they do about the SAD Monstrosity ?
All too often, the environment and the countryside do not get the attention and priority they deserve from politicians, and they risk being forgotten altogether in the pre-election hubbub.
But the next five years will be a critical time if we are to protect the countryside that is valued by so many people across the UK from inappropriate and excessive development, neglect and mismanagement.
You may also want to watch:
So I am supporting the manifesto for the general election produced by the Campaign to Protect Rural England, and I have written to my local candidates calling on them to do so too.
The manifesto calls for strong, democratic planning that will protect the countryside and create vibrant urban areas, protection for our best landscapes and the Green Belts around our towns and cities, and action to tackle litter and fly-tipping in the countryside.
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 5 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 6 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 8 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 9 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 10 Cheers! Great Northern pub set to host beer and cider festival
For more see www.cpre.org.uk
DR ROBERT WAREING
Claudian Place, St Albans