SIR – I was surprised to find the large solid hard-standing concreted area outside the Small Animals Department building at Oaklands Smallford Campus has been broken up. On enquiring why, I was told it was to build a wildlife pond for schools to visit. Ju
SIR - I was surprised to find the large solid hard-standing concreted area outside the Small Animals Department building at Oaklands Smallford Campus has been broken up. On enquiring why, I was told it was to build a wildlife pond for schools to visit.
Just a few metres from this area is a large grassy unused field, already gated and surrounded by trees, which would be ideal for such a project at a fraction of the cost.
Bearing in mind:
l the purpose - environmental awareness!
You may also want to watch:
l the cost - both financial and wastefulness of resources;
l the economic climate - probable cutbacks to college funding;
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 4 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 5 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 8 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 9 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
l the unsuitability of the site - being surrounded by concrete;
l the ensuing lack of parking facilities if schools are to be encouraged to visit.
I would question the judgement of whoever sanctioned this.
NAME AND ADDRESS SUPPLIED