SIR – Why does the council keep consulting us on everything it plans to do? Surely the whole purpose of us electing members is to represent our views. If we are going to get consulted on every major decision why not halve the number of elected members on
SIR - Why does the council keep consulting us on everything it plans to do?
Surely the whole purpose of us electing members is to represent our views. If we are going to get consulted on every major decision why not halve the number of elected members on St Albans District Council.
Because they are abdicating their repsonsibilities. What next, an X-Factor style phone-in on the funnels at Westminster Lodge?
Or on what toilet paper the council should use?
You may also want to watch:
A message to our councillors, do your jobs!
Consultations are expensive and dominated by a vocal minority who relish the chance to interfere/meddle in everything.
- 1 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 2 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role
- 3 Why is there a 50mph speed limit on small section of A414?
- 4 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 5 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 6 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 7 Increase in electric car charging points thanks to new partnership
- 8 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 9 Oaklands College principal leaving after 10 years
- 10 Row over new barriers blocking path for wheelchair users
In most cases the decision has already been made and the council seems intent of provoking people.
Views on Westminster Lodge have been particularly interesting, those who actually use the centre seem to be enthused by the council's plans.
Objections come from those who object to everything the council does (rent a mob).
I suspect if St Albans District Council eradicated world hunger at no cost regular contributors to these pages like Vanessa Gregory would still object.
Let's get back to democracy working effectively for the people and stop this X-Factorisation of local decision making.
Marconi Way, St Albans