Conserve our conservation team
SIR — Without its heritage St Albans would be just another faceless town. What on earth, therefore, are the council doing destroying the conservation team in St Albans planning department? Those of us working in the conservation field know that, while we
SIR - Without its heritage St Albans would be just another faceless town. What on earth, therefore, are the council doing destroying the conservation team in St Albans planning department?
Those of us working in the conservation field know that, while we may not always agree with each other, the ability to discuss important conservation-based decision, prior to committing to an application or proceeding with works, is absolutely crucial in ensuring that the development and conservation of our local historic environment is managed in a careful and sustainable way.
With nearly 900 statutorily listed buildings and around 5,000 locally listed buildings in the district, the dramatic reduction to two people working part-time will mean that pressures from planning applications will over-ride proactive discussion and proper forward planning.
Also, this decision seems to fly in the face of the proposals set out in the Emerging Core Strategy and is somewhat at odds with the recently-drafted government planning advice for the historic environment (PPS15).
You may also want to watch:
Presumably this decision has been undertaken on financial grounds. I can only wonder what the ultimate cost to our local heritage will be?
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 4 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
Historic Building Consultant
Mill Walk, Wheathampstead