Conserve our conservation team
SIR — Without its heritage St Albans would be just another faceless town. What on earth, therefore, are the council doing destroying the conservation team in St Albans planning department? Those of us working in the conservation field know that, while we
SIR - Without its heritage St Albans would be just another faceless town. What on earth, therefore, are the council doing destroying the conservation team in St Albans planning department?
Those of us working in the conservation field know that, while we may not always agree with each other, the ability to discuss important conservation-based decision, prior to committing to an application or proceeding with works, is absolutely crucial in ensuring that the development and conservation of our local historic environment is managed in a careful and sustainable way.
With nearly 900 statutorily listed buildings and around 5,000 locally listed buildings in the district, the dramatic reduction to two people working part-time will mean that pressures from planning applications will over-ride proactive discussion and proper forward planning.
Also, this decision seems to fly in the face of the proposals set out in the Emerging Core Strategy and is somewhat at odds with the recently-drafted government planning advice for the historic environment (PPS15).
You may also want to watch:
Presumably this decision has been undertaken on financial grounds. I can only wonder what the ultimate cost to our local heritage will be?
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 4 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
- 8 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 9 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity
- 10 A New York state of mind
Historic Building Consultant
Mill Walk, Wheathampstead