SIR, — It is with great concern that I have learnt that the residents of Caroline Sharpe House have been told that they will need to vacate their flats as the building is to be demolished between 2009 and 2011. Due to the length of time that many of the r
SIR, - It is with great concern that I have learnt that the residents of Caroline Sharpe House have been told that they will need to vacate their flats as the building is to be demolished between 2009 and 2011.
Due to the length of time that many of the residents, aged between 66 and 96 years of age, have spent at Caroline Sharpe House, they have formed a community and care for each other. This is particularly important with part-time warden support. Many of the residents have family living close by to help with shopping and household chores. The residents have formed a club and organise their own activities and outings. To break up this community will cause disorientation, depression and the most vulnerable might not survive the move.
My late husband's mother moved from London to Caroline Sharpe House to be close to me and my son who is her next of kin. She had to wait over six months for a flat to be available and has settled in well, appreciating the close proximity of two sets of local shops, a GP surgery and buses a few yards from her home. At 84 years of age, she is very distressed at the thought of moving from her home which is a few minutes walk from us. The residents have not been given any assurance that when Caroline Sharpe House has been rebuilt they would be able to move back nor where their temporary homes may be.
Although some elderly sheltered housing in St Albans is not in demand due to the size of the flats, Caroline Sharpe House remains popular. Marshalswick needs sheltered accommodation for the elderly in the area the residents know and their families can support them.
You may also want to watch:
Your support is sought in opposing this closure to ensure that this vulnerable group of people may continue to live in our community in Marshalswick.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 7 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 8 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 9 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 10 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
The Ridgeway, St Albans.