Come and visit
SIR, — Regarding the proposed closure of Station Road North post office, we must thank Peter Willsohn for his engaging comments (Herts Advertiser, July 10) contained in an otherwise undisguised diatribe against the local Liberal Democrats. Why would someo
SIR, - Regarding the proposed closure of Station Road North post office, we must thank Peter Willsohn for his engaging comments (Herts Advertiser, July 10) contained in an otherwise undisguised diatribe against the local Liberal Democrats. Why would someone living on the other side of Harpenden wish to vent his spleen on a post office that he would possibly never need to visit? And why does he not suggest the same fate for his own local post office in Southdown?
Come on over one day, Mr Willsohn, and tell the considerable number of users just how "unmerited" it is. Suggest to the elderly, the infirm and those without cars that they jog on down to the town (actually a round trip not far off two miles) and then spend even more time in the tiresome, legendary queues at the "significant and important" main post office. Those from local businesses, the self-employed and everyone else of course can jump in their cars and add to Harpenden's increasing traffic problems, pollute the atmosphere while doing so, and drive around a lot looking for a parking space.
Local post offices are a vibrant part of the communities they serve, and at Station Road North we also enjoy the full services of a grocery chain for our everyday requirements, served and delivered with human warmth and genuine spirit. Isn't it sad that today, that human element counts for little against the desperate search for profit?
You may also want to watch:
Barton Close, Harpenden.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 7 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 8 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 9 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery