Come and visit
SIR, — Regarding the proposed closure of Station Road North post office, we must thank Peter Willsohn for his engaging comments (Herts Advertiser, July 10) contained in an otherwise undisguised diatribe against the local Liberal Democrats. Why would someo
SIR, - Regarding the proposed closure of Station Road North post office, we must thank Peter Willsohn for his engaging comments (Herts Advertiser, July 10) contained in an otherwise undisguised diatribe against the local Liberal Democrats. Why would someone living on the other side of Harpenden wish to vent his spleen on a post office that he would possibly never need to visit? And why does he not suggest the same fate for his own local post office in Southdown?
Come on over one day, Mr Willsohn, and tell the considerable number of users just how "unmerited" it is. Suggest to the elderly, the infirm and those without cars that they jog on down to the town (actually a round trip not far off two miles) and then spend even more time in the tiresome, legendary queues at the "significant and important" main post office. Those from local businesses, the self-employed and everyone else of course can jump in their cars and add to Harpenden's increasing traffic problems, pollute the atmosphere while doing so, and drive around a lot looking for a parking space.
Local post offices are a vibrant part of the communities they serve, and at Station Road North we also enjoy the full services of a grocery chain for our everyday requirements, served and delivered with human warmth and genuine spirit. Isn't it sad that today, that human element counts for little against the desperate search for profit?
You may also want to watch:
Barton Close, Harpenden.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests