SIR, — I was very interested in your front-page story (Herts Advertiser, June 26) about the diabetes clinic at St Albans City Hospital facing a staffing crisis. I guess that you are aware the problem is not confined to the one clinic. For the past five or
SIR, - I was very interested in your front-page story (Herts Advertiser, June 26) about the diabetes clinic at St Albans City Hospital facing a staffing crisis.
I guess that you are aware the problem is not confined to the one clinic. For the past five or six years - I have lost track - I have been attending the endocrinology clinic and this situation is exactly the same. I had a follow-up appointment for 12 months later and one month before it was due I received a cancellation and new appointment for nine weeks later. When I telephoned to complain, the appointment clerk said she was sorry but there were only two clinics and in the next eight weeks the consultants kept cancelling. My last visit was mid-June and within 24 hours I received my next appointment for mid-August. Guess what, one week later I received a cancellation and a reappointment for two weeks later.
The quality of treatment is questionable. I have a tumour on the pituitary gland and after four years they stopped my treatment but it took over a year for me to find out that the tumour was growing again - because the follow-up appointment was one year later. Then a further three months wait for a brain scan only to be told they had lost the previous scans and therefore could not compare pictures. Back on the medication and 14 months for the next check up - which was only another bloody blood test.
I have had my whinge.
You may also want to watch:
MR P.A. WOOLF,
The Beeches, St. Albans.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 4 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 5 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 8 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street