SIR, — I may have misunderstood the situation but as I see it those interested in opposing the new Tesco store need to challenge St Albans District Council. In principle the council has accepted the requirement for a major supermarket — on the basis of th
SIR, - I may have misunderstood the situation but as I see it those interested in opposing the new Tesco store need to challenge St Albans District Council.
In principle the council has accepted the requirement for a major supermarket - on the basis of the city's needs? - at the Alma Road/London Road Tesco site. It is beyond me that they can reach such a conclusion when almost every other argument they present suggests a supermarket on this site is unworkable/undesirable and when the people of the city know it's not a requirement.
In a city where the council is likely to refuse your application for a garden shed, this decision is incredible.
Following refusal of their plans, Tesco will either appeal (unlikely) or make a new submission. They will be prepared to compromise. No doubt they'll reduce the scale of their store by a meaningless amount and who knows - we may benefit from wider pavements and perhaps a cycle track that leads nowhere.
You may also want to watch:
If we don't play ball they'll leave the site as a wasteland for another decade or until we finally capitulate.
In my opinion, the only way now to rebuff Tesco is for our council to review and withdraw its decision that the best site for a new supermarket is the Alma Road/London Road junction. It may be expensive and embarrassing to do but I can't see any other way.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
Tesco's behaviour towards the city and people of St Albans is nothing short of disgusting. They have treated us with absolute contempt.
It's about time we enjoyed the benefits of living in a democracy where the will of the people prevailed both at the council and against arrogant corporate actions.
Lower Dagnall Street, St Albans.