SIR, — Your report on the inquest on the tragic death of a homeless person over the Christmas period (Herts Advertiser, April 3) touched on the role of Centre 33 and said that the deceased person had been staying at the centre since November last year .
SIR, - Your report on the inquest on the tragic death of a homeless person over the Christmas period (Herts Advertiser, April 3) touched on the role of Centre 33 and said that the deceased person "had been staying at the centre since November last year". This is not correct and perhaps the role of Centre 33 should be clarified.
It is indeed true that Craig Brearley had been a visitor to Centre 33 over the period mentioned. But Centre 33 does not provide accommodation and Mr Brearley was not "staying at the centre". In fact, Mr Brearley, along with a number of other individuals, was sleeping rough over the Christmas period. Centre 33 was open on Christmas Day and other days over the holiday period and Mr Brearley had been a visitor until the day of his death.
The aim of Centre 33 is to give homeless people and others who have inadequate accommodation somewhere warm and welcoming to come where they can get food and warm drinks. We also provide shower facilities and some secondhand clothes.
Centre 33 is run entirely by volunteers and relies on the generous support of the district council and a number of churches, other organisations and individuals in St Albans.
Mr Brearley's death was a tremendous shock, especially to the volunteers and visitors who were in the Centre that day. His death at an early age (35) is a tragedy and unfortunately a reflection of the problems that some homeless people face on our streets.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 5 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 6 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 7 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
- 8 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 9 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 10 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
Chairman, Centre 33.