SIR, — Your report on the inquest on the tragic death of a homeless person over the Christmas period (Herts Advertiser, April 3) touched on the role of Centre 33 and said that the deceased person had been staying at the centre since November last year .
SIR, - Your report on the inquest on the tragic death of a homeless person over the Christmas period (Herts Advertiser, April 3) touched on the role of Centre 33 and said that the deceased person "had been staying at the centre since November last year". This is not correct and perhaps the role of Centre 33 should be clarified.
It is indeed true that Craig Brearley had been a visitor to Centre 33 over the period mentioned. But Centre 33 does not provide accommodation and Mr Brearley was not "staying at the centre". In fact, Mr Brearley, along with a number of other individuals, was sleeping rough over the Christmas period. Centre 33 was open on Christmas Day and other days over the holiday period and Mr Brearley had been a visitor until the day of his death.
The aim of Centre 33 is to give homeless people and others who have inadequate accommodation somewhere warm and welcoming to come where they can get food and warm drinks. We also provide shower facilities and some secondhand clothes.
Centre 33 is run entirely by volunteers and relies on the generous support of the district council and a number of churches, other organisations and individuals in St Albans.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Brearley's death was a tremendous shock, especially to the volunteers and visitors who were in the Centre that day. His death at an early age (35) is a tragedy and unfortunately a reflection of the problems that some homeless people face on our streets.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Highfield area of St Albans
Chairman, Centre 33.