SIR - The Herts Advertiser recently reported on the overall challenging financial position faced by St Albans Cathedral and amongst other things highlighted the performance of our caf�, book shop and gift shop. Due to the timing of publication of our annu
SIR - The Herts Advertiser recently reported on the overall challenging financial position faced by St Albans Cathedral and amongst other things highlighted the performance of our caf�, book shop and gift shop. Due to the timing of publication of our annual report, the information is out of date and I would like to update your readers on our current performance.
I'm pleased to report that our cafe and our shops are performing extremely well in the current climate, a happy position that we attribute to several factors:
Firstly, the quality of our food and the exceptional prices that we offer in what is one of the largest caf�s in our city. We source as many of our ingredients as we can from local providers and we serve food throughout the day in a pleasant, spacious environment near one of St Albans's most attractive open areas. You are welcome to come and try our coffee and cakes baked fresh on the premises.
Secondly, a concerted effort to raise awareness of the cafe and the shops which has resulted in a surge in visitor numbers. We have been doing our utmost to spread the word about our enterprises and this effort is paying off. For too long we have been one of St Albans's best-kept secrets and we're delighted to be welcoming more and more customers every day.
Thirdly, and most importantly, the fantastic contribution made by staff and volunteers to running this increasingly successful enterprise. All profits generated by our caf� and shops support the Cathedral, one of Britain's most important historic buildings, and its mission.
The Cathedral, as you report, is dependent on various fundraising initiatives to meet its running costs. We're proud of our building, our heritage and the important work that goes on here and we hope to welcome you and your readers to our cafe and shops soon.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 4 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 5 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 6 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 7 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 8 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
- 9 Company of Ten's A Bunch of Amateurs production 'milks the comedy for all its worth' at the Abbey Theatre
- 10 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
Director, Cathedral Enterprises