SIR - The Herts Advertiser recently reported on the overall challenging financial position faced by St Albans Cathedral and amongst other things highlighted the performance of our caf�, book shop and gift shop. Due to the timing of publication of our annu
SIR - The Herts Advertiser recently reported on the overall challenging financial position faced by St Albans Cathedral and amongst other things highlighted the performance of our caf�, book shop and gift shop. Due to the timing of publication of our annual report, the information is out of date and I would like to update your readers on our current performance.
I'm pleased to report that our cafe and our shops are performing extremely well in the current climate, a happy position that we attribute to several factors:
Firstly, the quality of our food and the exceptional prices that we offer in what is one of the largest caf�s in our city. We source as many of our ingredients as we can from local providers and we serve food throughout the day in a pleasant, spacious environment near one of St Albans's most attractive open areas. You are welcome to come and try our coffee and cakes baked fresh on the premises.
Secondly, a concerted effort to raise awareness of the cafe and the shops which has resulted in a surge in visitor numbers. We have been doing our utmost to spread the word about our enterprises and this effort is paying off. For too long we have been one of St Albans's best-kept secrets and we're delighted to be welcoming more and more customers every day.
You may also want to watch:
Thirdly, and most importantly, the fantastic contribution made by staff and volunteers to running this increasingly successful enterprise. All profits generated by our caf� and shops support the Cathedral, one of Britain's most important historic buildings, and its mission.
The Cathedral, as you report, is dependent on various fundraising initiatives to meet its running costs. We're proud of our building, our heritage and the important work that goes on here and we hope to welcome you and your readers to our cafe and shops soon.
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 Food, glorious food! Tom Kerridge's tasty menus announced for Alfresco Diner in St Albans
- 6 April 12: Rhino crash marks re-opening of Whipsnade Zoo
- 7 Doors opening again for Harpenden retailers on April 12
- 8 Shop Local: Mums team up for pop-up opening on April 12
- 9 Hundreds of Herts health workers decline COVID-19 vaccines
- 10 'Hero without a cape' comes to the aid of Park Street resident
Director, Cathedral Enterprises