SIR, — My wife, who has Alzheimer s Disease, already pays £1,500 per year for an Alzheimer s drug that the NHS will not supply. She is one of those who has been informed that Herts County Council have put up the cost of care at a Day Centre from 10am to 4
SIR, - My wife, who has Alzheimer's Disease, already pays £1,500 per year for an Alzheimer's drug that the NHS will not supply. She is one of those who has been informed that Herts County Council have put up the cost of care at a Day Centre from 10am to 4pm by 26.65 per cent (Herts Advertiser, April 10). How can that increase possibly be justified when the rate of inflation is well below five per cent?
It seems to me that elderly, vulnerable and frail people with savings and/or capital over £22,250 are being used as a "cash cow" by county councillors who voted for this 2008/2009 budget. Having paid tax all their working lives, the people needing care are being taxed all over again. This is to bolster the amount of money made available by the council for Adult Care Services - as per the statement made to you by the county council spokesperson.
The increase comes at a time when top county council officers have been receiving pay rises up to three times the rate of inflation (Herts Advertiser, April 3).
What I think is even worse are the charges if you need to use care services to enable you to stay in your own home. This of course saves on the use of expensive NHS or scarce nursing-home beds. In spite of that, depending on the amount of help needed, you will be expected to pay up to £334 per week - more than £17,000 per year - if you have savings and capital over £22,250. What a terrible outcome for those who own their own home but have little savings.
Sandridge Parish Councillor,
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 3 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 4 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 5 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 6 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 7 Nearly 100 motorway cameras upgraded to catch drivers who flout red X rules
- 8 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 9 Missing 25-year-old last seen in Coreys Mill Lane found in Stevenage
- 10 Revealed: Most popular Deliveroo takeaway dishes in St Albans
Beverley Gardens, Jersey Farm.