SIR, — My wife, who has Alzheimer s Disease, already pays £1,500 per year for an Alzheimer s drug that the NHS will not supply. She is one of those who has been informed that Herts County Council have put up the cost of care at a Day Centre from 10am to 4
SIR, - My wife, who has Alzheimer's Disease, already pays £1,500 per year for an Alzheimer's drug that the NHS will not supply. She is one of those who has been informed that Herts County Council have put up the cost of care at a Day Centre from 10am to 4pm by 26.65 per cent (Herts Advertiser, April 10). How can that increase possibly be justified when the rate of inflation is well below five per cent?
It seems to me that elderly, vulnerable and frail people with savings and/or capital over £22,250 are being used as a "cash cow" by county councillors who voted for this 2008/2009 budget. Having paid tax all their working lives, the people needing care are being taxed all over again. This is to bolster the amount of money made available by the council for Adult Care Services - as per the statement made to you by the county council spokesperson.
The increase comes at a time when top county council officers have been receiving pay rises up to three times the rate of inflation (Herts Advertiser, April 3).
What I think is even worse are the charges if you need to use care services to enable you to stay in your own home. This of course saves on the use of expensive NHS or scarce nursing-home beds. In spite of that, depending on the amount of help needed, you will be expected to pay up to £334 per week - more than £17,000 per year - if you have savings and capital over £22,250. What a terrible outcome for those who own their own home but have little savings.
You may also want to watch:
Sandridge Parish Councillor,
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
- 4 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 A New York state of mind
- 7 Divers to visit de Havilland Aircraft Museum to see 'bouncing bomb' they raised from a Scottish loch
- 8 Springfield Farm: Student party plan blocked by council
- 9 Sir David Amess: St Albans MP reflects on personal safety
- 10 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
Beverley Gardens, Jersey Farm.