SIR — I live on the Verulam Estate, where all residents have spent a miserable weekend. From Friday evening to this moment (Sunday evening) the stench of burning material has permeated the atmosphere across the estate. On Saturday afternoon I took my fam
SIR - I live on the Verulam Estate, where all residents have spent a miserable weekend. From Friday evening to this moment (Sunday evening) the stench of burning material has permeated the
atmosphere across the estate.
On Saturday afternoon I took my family to Verulamium Park but there was no escape there from the stinking fumes.
Today we travelled out of St Albans, but on our return as soon as we hit the area of the former M10 the foul stink returned.
You may also want to watch:
I have just been to the "wood recycling facility" in Appspond Lane on the Hemel Hempstead Road.
The gates were locked and there was no sign of any member of staff on the site.
- 1 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 4 Drug users at Telford Court flats face tough police action
- 5 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 6 Police hunt man suspected of breaking into Cathedral collection boxes
- 7 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 8 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian home on one of St Albans' most prestigious roads
- 9 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
There were three plumes of smoke rising high from an area far within the site, hidden by other piles of debris near to the entrance gates.
Of course I have no definite proof that the stinking pollution is coming from this site, but I do feel that we residents are owed an explanation of the source of the stench which has blighted our weekend for three days.
The party who can give this explanation knows who they are and I am entreating them to provide, through your pages, an answer.