SIR — I live on the Verulam Estate, where all residents have spent a miserable weekend. From Friday evening to this moment (Sunday evening) the stench of burning material has permeated the atmosphere across the estate. On Saturday afternoon I took my fam
SIR - I live on the Verulam Estate, where all residents have spent a miserable weekend. From Friday evening to this moment (Sunday evening) the stench of burning material has permeated the
atmosphere across the estate.
On Saturday afternoon I took my family to Verulamium Park but there was no escape there from the stinking fumes.
Today we travelled out of St Albans, but on our return as soon as we hit the area of the former M10 the foul stink returned.
I have just been to the "wood recycling facility" in Appspond Lane on the Hemel Hempstead Road.
The gates were locked and there was no sign of any member of staff on the site.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 4 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 7 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 8 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 9 Breakaway Theatre Company returns with an enjoyable day at the races in Ladies' Day
- 10 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
There were three plumes of smoke rising high from an area far within the site, hidden by other piles of debris near to the entrance gates.
Of course I have no definite proof that the stinking pollution is coming from this site, but I do feel that we residents are owed an explanation of the source of the stench which has blighted our weekend for three days.
The party who can give this explanation knows who they are and I am entreating them to provide, through your pages, an answer.