SIR — I live on the Verulam Estate, where all residents have spent a miserable weekend. From Friday evening to this moment (Sunday evening) the stench of burning material has permeated the atmosphere across the estate. On Saturday afternoon I took my fam
SIR - I live on the Verulam Estate, where all residents have spent a miserable weekend. From Friday evening to this moment (Sunday evening) the stench of burning material has permeated the
atmosphere across the estate.
On Saturday afternoon I took my family to Verulamium Park but there was no escape there from the stinking fumes.
Today we travelled out of St Albans, but on our return as soon as we hit the area of the former M10 the foul stink returned.
You may also want to watch:
I have just been to the "wood recycling facility" in Appspond Lane on the Hemel Hempstead Road.
The gates were locked and there was no sign of any member of staff on the site.
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 6 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 7 Property Secrets: St Albans Green councillor Simon Grover
- 8 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 9 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 10 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
There were three plumes of smoke rising high from an area far within the site, hidden by other piles of debris near to the entrance gates.
Of course I have no definite proof that the stinking pollution is coming from this site, but I do feel that we residents are owed an explanation of the source of the stench which has blighted our weekend for three days.
The party who can give this explanation knows who they are and I am entreating them to provide, through your pages, an answer.