SIR, — I am a diabetic, recently dependent on insulin. The needles I use are small and encased in plastic. I had been saving my needles (sharps) in a strongbox. When I took it to the chemist requesting that they dispose of it, they said they were not allo
SIR, - I am a diabetic, recently dependent on insulin. The needles I use are small and encased in plastic. I had been saving my needles (sharps) in a strongbox. When I took it to the chemist requesting that they dispose of it, they said they were not allowed to take it - it was unsafe to store them at the pharmacy.
The pharmacist thought I would have to contact the district council and gave me a phone number. She also suggested that I take the box to my doctor - but there again they are not allowed to take it.
I phoned the council. The required the needles to be stored in a safe box. Where do I get the box? Complete a council form, which would be sent immediately. Then apply to my doctor for a prescription for a box. The pharmacy would then provide the box. Then I would phone the council on Monday or Friday for the box to be collected on Wednesday.
I now have the bright yellow box with a label on the outside stating: Contaminated sharps only - "danger" destroy by incineration.
You may also want to watch:
On the Wednesday I am instructed to "please place the clinical waste items on your doorstep by 7am on the morning of collection".
Presumably that's where they are the safest.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 7 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 8 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 9 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
Jersey Farm, St Albans.