SIR, — I am a diabetic, recently dependent on insulin. The needles I use are small and encased in plastic. I had been saving my needles (sharps) in a strongbox. When I took it to the chemist requesting that they dispose of it, they said they were not allo
SIR, - I am a diabetic, recently dependent on insulin. The needles I use are small and encased in plastic. I had been saving my needles (sharps) in a strongbox. When I took it to the chemist requesting that they dispose of it, they said they were not allowed to take it - it was unsafe to store them at the pharmacy.
The pharmacist thought I would have to contact the district council and gave me a phone number. She also suggested that I take the box to my doctor - but there again they are not allowed to take it.
I phoned the council. The required the needles to be stored in a safe box. Where do I get the box? Complete a council form, which would be sent immediately. Then apply to my doctor for a prescription for a box. The pharmacy would then provide the box. Then I would phone the council on Monday or Friday for the box to be collected on Wednesday.
I now have the bright yellow box with a label on the outside stating: Contaminated sharps only - "danger" destroy by incineration.
You may also want to watch:
On the Wednesday I am instructed to "please place the clinical waste items on your doorstep by 7am on the morning of collection".
Presumably that's where they are the safest.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 7 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 8 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 9 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 10 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
Jersey Farm, St Albans.