SIR, — Re your story about a plan to install speed bumps in St Annes s Road, London Colney (Herts Advertiser, December 11). Speed bumps can kill. If an ambulance is slowed down by speed bumps, the delay can be fatal. This could result in Herts County Cou
SIR, - Re your story about a plan to install speed bumps in St Annes's Road, London Colney (Herts Advertiser, December 11).
Speed bumps can kill. If an ambulance is slowed down by speed bumps, the delay can be fatal. This could result in Herts County Council being sued for large sums of money in damages.
Chicanes, such as those used in Camp Road and at South Mimms are even more dangerous. Blocking off half of the road is asking for a car crash. It is the height of folly. It also generates traffic queues, extra pollution and delays.
When speed bumps are installed, they are considerably taller than necessary. They make traffic slow to about 10mph, which is 20mph below the legal limit of 30mph. It makes drivers angry that they have to go at such an excessively low speed in relation to the limit. One consequence is that some of them speed up or race to the next bump - or go faster than they otherwise would once they get past all the bumps. This causes high noise levels and excess pollution.
Let's hope that common sense is allowed to prevail for once and St Annes Road is left without bumps or chicanes, and that all roads in this area are cleared of both types of these old-fashioned, pollution-generating, counter-productive hazards.
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 3 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 4 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 5 Taxi stopped with ‘tyre below legal tread depth’ on A41
- 6 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 7 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 8 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 9 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
Boissy Close, St Albans.