SIR, — You have recently published several letters concerning the deplorable condition of Harpenden s roads and the ever-increasing amount of so-called traffic-calming measures in the town. I live a mile from the town if I walk and half as far again if I
SIR, - You have recently published several letters concerning the deplorable condition of Harpenden's roads and the ever-increasing amount of so-called traffic-calming measures in the town.
I live a mile from the town if I walk and half as far again if I drive. I should be happy to cycle but the condition of the road surface makes that too dangerous and too uncomfortable. I therefore walk when I have no shopping to carry; otherwise I have to use my car.
There are frequent complaints about young mothers driving 4x4s. But having large wheels and tyres enables such vehicles to absorb some of the endless bumping and shaking to which Harpenden drivers and their passengers are subjected. The damage to young backs could provide a useful subject for research. I know my own not-so-young back certainly suffers.
Why must we endure such conditions? Speed cameras are unpopular but surely they are preferable to the present installations. Cameras catch the guilty while leaving the law-abiding free to ride in comfort and safety - and, in all probability, to enjoy lower car maintenance bills!
You may also want to watch:
One final point: Why, as your correspondent Adrian Turner asks, have the two Rothamsted access roads been remetalled and kerbed? Indeed why are two such roads deemed necessary? Surely, one of them could be returned to common land.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 3 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 4 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 5 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 8 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 9 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
Barlings Road, Harpenden.