SIR, — Several million pounds later what have we to show for our historic St Albans city centre — a boring, granite mess, stained and cracked with ongoing cleaning costs. May I suggest the powers-that-be take a look at Dunstable High Street area. There ar
SIR, - Several million pounds later what have we to show for our historic St Albans city centre - a boring, granite mess, stained and cracked with ongoing cleaning costs.
May I suggest the powers-that-be take a look at Dunstable High Street area. There are elegant seating areas, black lamp standards with double hanging baskets and beautiful flower arrangements everywhere. In addition their paving incorporates a tasteful blend of cream which is much more pleasing to the eye, with a lovely clock tower. If they can do it why can't we?
As for Verulamium Park, surely any funding could be used to employ a park warden? The basic layout of the park is fine but the paths round it need widening a little and levelling so they are safe for use, even at their edges, for pedestrians, pushchairs and wheelchairs.
In addition it would make a pleasant change to walk round paths free from bird poo and to have a cleaner lake minus the spreading green weed/algae. A trim of the overhanging trees is also needed. If this is possible (depending on the soil depth), then a few evergreen flowering shrubs could be planted round the lake to soften the edges.
You may also want to watch:
Clearly the water quality needs improving but surely there are scientific techniques available to enable this that do not involve altering the water courses? Can't we have some water pumping combined with some fountains or is that impossible? The fountain in St James Park looks good. None of this is rocket science, but it would improve the look of our park in a cost-efficient manner.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 7 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 8 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 9 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
Old Sopwell Gardens, St Albans.