SIR, — Several million pounds later what have we to show for our historic St Albans city centre — a boring, granite mess, stained and cracked with ongoing cleaning costs. May I suggest the powers-that-be take a look at Dunstable High Street area. There ar
SIR, - Several million pounds later what have we to show for our historic St Albans city centre - a boring, granite mess, stained and cracked with ongoing cleaning costs.
May I suggest the powers-that-be take a look at Dunstable High Street area. There are elegant seating areas, black lamp standards with double hanging baskets and beautiful flower arrangements everywhere. In addition their paving incorporates a tasteful blend of cream which is much more pleasing to the eye, with a lovely clock tower. If they can do it why can't we?
As for Verulamium Park, surely any funding could be used to employ a park warden? The basic layout of the park is fine but the paths round it need widening a little and levelling so they are safe for use, even at their edges, for pedestrians, pushchairs and wheelchairs.
In addition it would make a pleasant change to walk round paths free from bird poo and to have a cleaner lake minus the spreading green weed/algae. A trim of the overhanging trees is also needed. If this is possible (depending on the soil depth), then a few evergreen flowering shrubs could be planted round the lake to soften the edges.
You may also want to watch:
Clearly the water quality needs improving but surely there are scientific techniques available to enable this that do not involve altering the water courses? Can't we have some water pumping combined with some fountains or is that impossible? The fountain in St James Park looks good. None of this is rocket science, but it would improve the look of our park in a cost-efficient manner.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
Old Sopwell Gardens, St Albans.