SIR, — Mr Norman Hart, who has been corresponding with you concerning the state of St Albans Central Library, may be gratified to learn that there are behaviours which the library staff will not tolerate and which will prompt them to take disciplinary act
SIR, - Mr Norman Hart, who has been corresponding with you concerning the state of St Albans Central Library, may be gratified to learn that there are behaviours which the library staff will not tolerate and which will prompt them to take disciplinary action. I know this having been subjected to such action myself.
My offence? To return a book through the "returns" letterbox outside the library while the library was open! Doubtless your readers are all fully aware that such an act is strictly forbidden, but sadly I was less well-informed. I committed this heinous crime because there was a very long queue at the returns desk, and as a result my library card was suspended and I was summoned to the library to explain myself. Needless to say I ignored said summons and instead wrote a very stroppy letter to the powers that be in Herts County Council, resulting in an apology and the reinstatement of my card.
What we can conclude from this is that while running, screeching, bellowing into a mobile phone, eating, drinking and sleeping in a smelly manner are perfectly acceptable behaviours in the library, using the facilities provided for their intended purpose most assuredly is not.
Far be it from me to suggest that this is yet another example of politically-correct inclusiveness being extended only to the disruptive, selfish and feckless while excluding the respectful and responsible.
You may also want to watch:
Archers Fields, St Albans.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?