SIR, — Mr Norman Hart, who has been corresponding with you concerning the state of St Albans Central Library, may be gratified to learn that there are behaviours which the library staff will not tolerate and which will prompt them to take disciplinary act
SIR, - Mr Norman Hart, who has been corresponding with you concerning the state of St Albans Central Library, may be gratified to learn that there are behaviours which the library staff will not tolerate and which will prompt them to take disciplinary action. I know this having been subjected to such action myself.
My offence? To return a book through the "returns" letterbox outside the library while the library was open! Doubtless your readers are all fully aware that such an act is strictly forbidden, but sadly I was less well-informed. I committed this heinous crime because there was a very long queue at the returns desk, and as a result my library card was suspended and I was summoned to the library to explain myself. Needless to say I ignored said summons and instead wrote a very stroppy letter to the powers that be in Herts County Council, resulting in an apology and the reinstatement of my card.
What we can conclude from this is that while running, screeching, bellowing into a mobile phone, eating, drinking and sleeping in a smelly manner are perfectly acceptable behaviours in the library, using the facilities provided for their intended purpose most assuredly is not.
Far be it from me to suggest that this is yet another example of politically-correct inclusiveness being extended only to the disruptive, selfish and feckless while excluding the respectful and responsible.
You may also want to watch:
Archers Fields, St Albans.
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 4 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 5 Food, glorious food! Tom Kerridge's tasty menus announced for Alfresco Diner in St Albans
- 6 Doors opening again for Harpenden retailers on April 12
- 7 April 12: Rhino crash marks re-opening of Whipsnade Zoo
- 8 Shop Local: Mums team up for pop-up opening on April 12
- 9 'Hero without a cape' comes to the aid of Park Street resident
- 10 Hundreds of Herts health workers decline COVID-19 vaccines