SIR - This week we received the summer edition of Hertfordshire magazine Horizons and reading through, I was very surprised to see such a long list of Hertfordshire county councillors – no fewer than 77, it seems. On visiting the council s website I disc
SIR - This week we received the summer edition of Hertfordshire magazine Horizons and reading through, I was very surprised to see such a long list of Hertfordshire county councillors - no fewer than 77, it seems.
On visiting the council's website I discovered that, in addition, St Albans City and District Council has 58 councillors.
I am no expert on local affairs but there do seem to be many local problems aired on your letters pages, so our councillors could do better, especially as so many arguments develop along party lines and when things don't get done each party blames the other.
When the inevitable cuts come, I am proposing that the first ones should be to streamline our council. I am sure that a better job could be effected with fewer, more dedicated, public servants.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 2 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 3 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 4 Police swoop on organised gangs as part of major operation
- 5 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role
- 6 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 7 Why is there a 50mph speed limit on small section of A414?
- 8 Oaklands College principal leaving after 10 years
- 9 Charity for older people has busiest year ever during pandemic
- 10 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans