SIR - This week we received the summer edition of Hertfordshire magazine Horizons and reading through, I was very surprised to see such a long list of Hertfordshire county councillors – no fewer than 77, it seems. On visiting the council s website I disc
SIR - This week we received the summer edition of Hertfordshire magazine Horizons and reading through, I was very surprised to see such a long list of Hertfordshire county councillors - no fewer than 77, it seems.
On visiting the council's website I discovered that, in addition, St Albans City and District Council has 58 councillors.
I am no expert on local affairs but there do seem to be many local problems aired on your letters pages, so our councillors could do better, especially as so many arguments develop along party lines and when things don't get done each party blames the other.
When the inevitable cuts come, I am proposing that the first ones should be to streamline our council. I am sure that a better job could be effected with fewer, more dedicated, public servants.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
- 4 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 A New York state of mind
- 7 Divers to visit de Havilland Aircraft Museum to see 'bouncing bomb' they raised from a Scottish loch
- 8 Springfield Farm: Student party plan blocked by council
- 9 Sir David Amess: St Albans MP reflects on personal safety
- 10 Alban Arena launches annual pantomime with Strictly Come Dancing star