SIR - This week we received the summer edition of Hertfordshire magazine Horizons and reading through, I was very surprised to see such a long list of Hertfordshire county councillors – no fewer than 77, it seems. On visiting the council s website I disc
SIR - This week we received the summer edition of Hertfordshire magazine Horizons and reading through, I was very surprised to see such a long list of Hertfordshire county councillors - no fewer than 77, it seems.
On visiting the council's website I discovered that, in addition, St Albans City and District Council has 58 councillors.
I am no expert on local affairs but there do seem to be many local problems aired on your letters pages, so our councillors could do better, especially as so many arguments develop along party lines and when things don't get done each party blames the other.
When the inevitable cuts come, I am proposing that the first ones should be to streamline our council. I am sure that a better job could be effected with fewer, more dedicated, public servants.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Parish council reveals £250K financial scandal over 11 years
- 2 Teen suicide prevention charity appoints first ambassador
- 3 de Havilland Aircraft Museum awarded £90k grant as it plans for May reopening
- 4 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 5 Former St Albans Mayor celebrates golden wedding
- 6 Abbey Theatre banner vanishes from St Albans park railings
- 7 Fantastic Mr Fox rescued from balcony with help of RSPCA
- 8 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 9 Giant glass wings installed at St Albans Cathedral to offer 'Solace' in loss
- 10 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?