SIR, — The condition of Herts roads is mentioned virtually every week in the Herts Advertiser, and was mentioned in a letter in the motoring section of the Daily Telegraph on April 5. I find it difficult to believe that the Department for Transports s Sec
SIR, - The condition of Herts roads is mentioned virtually every week in the Herts Advertiser, and was mentioned in a letter in the motoring section of the Daily Telegraph on April 5.
I find it difficult to believe that the Department for Transports's Secretary of State and/or Ministers are blissfully unaware of the problems, which in one case may have lead to the horrendous facial injuries to a female cyclist (Herts Advertiser, February 7).
As a cyclist myself, some of our roads are in a worse condition than those I saw in Algeria in the mid 1970s.
And yes, I regularly report potholes etc but there are so many that is has become an almost impossible task. And why should the general public be road inspectors?
So either Herts Highways and/or Herts County Council are under-funded, leading to potholes and dangerous roads, or they are incompetent - or both. Either way, surely the Government Office for the East of England (GO-East) and DfT have the overall management and executive oversight and command of the situation. Or has a new system of buck-passing been introduced that I am unaware of?
In case DfT have failed to realise how damaged and dangerous our local roads have become, I would specifically ask GO-East to make them aware of the situation in Herts.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 5 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 6 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 7 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 8 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 9 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 10 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
COLIN M. WEAVER,
Tuffnells Way, Harpenden.