SIR, — I m relieved to read that five companies will face criminal proscecution charges for the Buncefield explosion. It was the biggest peacetime explosion in Europe since World War Two. I m concerned about the possible long-term health effects. Short-te
SIR, - I'm relieved to read that five companies will face criminal proscecution charges for the Buncefield explosion. It was the biggest peacetime explosion in Europe since World War Two. I'm concerned about the possible long-term health effects. Short-term breathing problems were caused by pollution particles.
The long-term threat comes from chemicals such as benzene and polyaromatic hydrocarbons. When breathed in they can cause changes in the body, releasing free-radicals which can cause cancer. Benzene is proven to cause cancer, blood diseases and DNA changes. No one should be exposed to these.
I hope these possible adverse health effects on local residents will be taken into account when charges are made or compensation is discussed.
You may also want to watch:
Dulverton Road, Ruislip, Middx.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions