SIR, — You published a letter (Herts Advertiser, December 18) from a reader who wrote about the tendency of the Liberal Democrats to jump aboard local bandwagons. A case in point is provided by the perennial debate in St Albans over the wretched state of
SIR, - You published a letter (Herts Advertiser, December 18) from a reader who wrote about the tendency of the Liberal Democrats to jump aboard local bandwagons. A case in point is provided by the perennial debate in St Albans over the wretched state of our roads and pavements.
The LibDems' traditional stance in this area has been to blame the Conservative-controlled Herts County Council - together with Herts Highways - for crumbling roads and treacherous pavements. Recently, however, the LibDems have seen a great light and they are now correctly identifying the Labour Government's funding policies as the true culprit.
But surprisingly perhaps, the LibDems have not also exonerated the Conservatives from the past imputations of guilt wrongly laid upon them. As things stand, therefore, the LibDems are in the happy - but illogical - position of blaming both the Conservatives and Labour simultaneously for our decaying infrastructure.
You may also want to watch:
Allandale, St Albans.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 Property Spotlight: A quaint cottage on Fishpool Street, St Albans
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 9 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 10 Havin a fantastic lunch at new Turkish restaurant