SIR, — Re your story headlined Traders shocked at market fees rise (Herts Advertiser, March 27). Yet again the LIberal Democrat administration of St Albans District Council tries to pass the blame for any unpopular decisions to Central Government. Let s
SIR, - Re your story headlined "Traders shocked at market fees rise" (Herts Advertiser, March 27). Yet again the LIberal Democrat administration of St Albans District Council tries to pass the blame for any unpopular decisions to Central Government.
Let's be clear, it's the LIberal Democrats who decided to raise the charges for market traders by seven per cent for Wednesday, Saturday and Christmas markets, bringing in about £40,060. The Farmers Market faces a steeper increase at 11 per cent to raise £1,880 and the Continental Markets are held to the rate of inflation at 2.5 per cent to raise £150 a grand total of £42,090.
It's quite ludicrous to blame the Government settlement for this decision. Local councillors vote for their priorities - some things get a bit more cash, others like market charges are used to raise extra money. We've seen a similar approach to Parking Permits. Rather than blame the Government for their financial decisions, the LIberal Democrats might reflect on the recent Audit Commission report which found that their standards of financial management in St Albans only meet minimum requirements (Herts Advertister. February 14, "Bare minimum for council standards").
CLLR ROMA MILLS,
You may also want to watch:
St Albans District Council.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 Property Spotlight: A quaint cottage on Fishpool Street, St Albans
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 9 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 10 Havin a fantastic lunch at new Turkish restaurant