SIR, — I am writing in response to Mr Ray Oxley s letter (Herts Advertiser, April 2). Mr Oxley claims that the lack of letters in favour of the proposed rail freight terminal shows that the residents of St Albans are indifferent on the subject. Having bee
SIR, - I am writing in response to Mr Ray Oxley's letter (Herts Advertiser, April 2).
Mr Oxley claims that the lack of letters in favour of the proposed rail freight terminal shows that the residents of St Albans are indifferent on the subject. Having been present at The Noke for most of the public "consultation", it is clear to me that the vast majority of people remain bitterly opposed. Far from ignoring this event, people turned up in a steady procession and there was a mood of real anger - even more than at the time of the first application.
It also became apparent that quite a few people contemplating buying a property in the area had not been told of the potential threat and have now changed their minds.
As for local jobs, the developers are predicting that the vast majority of the required workforce would have to be imported from North London and Luton which would simply add to the congestion on the roads.
You may also want to watch:
I sympathise with Mr Oxley's concerns about our local hospitals but would point out that were this proposal to go ahead, St Albans and the surrounding area would become "Watford on football days" seven days a week. This is a real health concern.
Whatever it costs, this proposal must not be allowed to become a reality but people must realise that their letters of protest from last time will not be carried over if a new application goes in - they need to write again
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 4 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
The Rise, Park Street.