SIR, — I am sure I am not the only person who noticed traffic survey personnel taking car registration numbers in St Stephens Hill, Wilshere Avenue, Griffiths Way, particularly last Saturday and Sunday. I stopped to ask why it was necessary to take my car
SIR, - I am sure I am not the only person who noticed traffic survey personnel taking car registration numbers in St Stephens Hill, Wilshere Avenue, Griffiths Way, particularly last Saturday and Sunday. I stopped to ask why it was necessary to take my car registration number so many times in one day but was told - oh just a survey. There were no signs to say what the survey was for and with the amount of CCTV cameras in the area I wonder why this extra manpowered expense was necessary. I have a very suspicious mind particularly when it comes to our Liberal Democrat Council who have another year to run without local elections affecting their overall control. Surely this can't be another way of measuring traffic to fulfil the ambition of the pedestrianisation of St Peter's Street?
Some memories are short but most of us will remember how badly that affected St Albans city centre some 20 years ago, and a thriving shopping centre and superb market have never fully recovered.
Perhaps lessons are never learned.
HONORARY ALDERMAN MRS AGNES HILL,
You may also want to watch:
Tavistock Avenue, St Albans.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests