SIR, — Once again we are beset with the inexplicable decisions of the Herts County Council education system in their allocation of school places for the children of our district. Some of these are beyond belief. No doubt all parents of the children who ha
SIR, - Once again we are beset with the inexplicable decisions of the Herts County Council education system in their allocation of school places for the children of our district. Some of these are beyond belief.
No doubt all parents of the children who have been grossly cast aside by the county are up in arms, and rightly so.
But what of the views of the affected grandparents, most of whom have lived in the Harpenden area for many years, have brought up their own children here and have seen their grandchildren born and raised here? I and my wife are surely just two of those "oldies" in the above category who are enraged at the astonishing conclusions of the officials who decide the fates of young children by merely number-crunching across a desk.
I wish I could pin-point just one officer who will stand up to be counted on this matter but of course the bland answer I fear would be..."the decisions were made by committee".
You may also want to watch:
Whoever you are, rest assured that I will do anything in my power to ensure that my granddaughter will be attending a Harpenden school, in the town where she was born, raised and until this week's bombshell, has flourished.
And county, you may be certain that I will not be on my own.
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 4 Food, glorious food! Tom Kerridge's tasty menus announced for Alfresco Diner in St Albans
- 5 Shop Local: Mums team up for pop-up opening on April 12
- 6 Doors opening again for Harpenden retailers on April 12
- 7 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 8 'Hero without a cape' comes to the aid of Park Street resident
- 9 Turning over a new leaf as lockdown ends
- 10 Major redevelopment underway at St Albans office building
The Close, Harpenden.