SIR – Am I the Queen of Don t-Get-It? We are urged on all sides to become more self-sufficient. From the Archbishop of Canterbury onwards, we are warned of the unsustainibility of flying in food from abroad. We are warned that we must create food securit
SIR - Am I the Queen of Don't-Get-It? We are urged on all sides to become more self-sufficient.
From the Archbishop of Canterbury onwards, we are warned of the unsustainibility of flying in food from abroad. We are warned that we must create food security here, in the face of future global shortages.We read of the degradation of our urban and rural environments by pollution and overcrowding.
Yet the good ship Harpenden Town Council continues to steam full tilt towards the iceberg of stupidity.
A strip of useful former allotment land with no proper access, with tawny owls (a protected species) nesting in the immediate vicinity, is about to be sold to developers to put so-called affordable housing on it (predominantly three and four-bed houses, judging by the proposals I have seen. Hardly affordable. Well, not by me). Oh, and car parking for 46 cars.
You may also want to watch:
The overall result of this? More light pollution. More noise pollution. More air pollution. More overcrowding. Fewer opportunities to grow our own food to feed our families and community. And no more tawny owls.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 3 Shop Local: Mums team up for pop-up opening on April 12
- 4 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 5 Turning over a new leaf as lockdown ends
- 6 Food, glorious food! Tom Kerridge's tasty menus announced for Alfresco Diner in St Albans
- 7 Doors opening again for Harpenden retailers on April 12
- 8 Community opens book shed to share the gift of reading
- 9 St Albans Rainbow Trail Easter competition raises funds for Home-Start Herts
- 10 'Hero without a cape' comes to the aid of Park Street resident
Coldharbour Lane, Harpenden