SIR – Am I the Queen of Don t-Get-It? We are urged on all sides to become more self-sufficient. From the Archbishop of Canterbury onwards, we are warned of the unsustainibility of flying in food from abroad. We are warned that we must create food securit
SIR - Am I the Queen of Don't-Get-It? We are urged on all sides to become more self-sufficient.
From the Archbishop of Canterbury onwards, we are warned of the unsustainibility of flying in food from abroad. We are warned that we must create food security here, in the face of future global shortages.We read of the degradation of our urban and rural environments by pollution and overcrowding.
Yet the good ship Harpenden Town Council continues to steam full tilt towards the iceberg of stupidity.
A strip of useful former allotment land with no proper access, with tawny owls (a protected species) nesting in the immediate vicinity, is about to be sold to developers to put so-called affordable housing on it (predominantly three and four-bed houses, judging by the proposals I have seen. Hardly affordable. Well, not by me). Oh, and car parking for 46 cars.
You may also want to watch:
The overall result of this? More light pollution. More noise pollution. More air pollution. More overcrowding. Fewer opportunities to grow our own food to feed our families and community. And no more tawny owls.
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 5 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 6 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 8 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 9 Cheers! Great Northern pub set to host beer and cider festival
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
Coldharbour Lane, Harpenden