SIR – Well done Harpenden Town Council – another wizard scheme (Allotment site goes up for sale, Herts Advertiser, July 30). With a shortage of allotments and an increase in demand for them, what are our beloved town council up to? Selling off a small p
SIR - Well done Harpenden Town Council - another 'wizard scheme' (Allotment site goes up for sale, Herts Advertiser, July 30).
With a shortage of allotments and an increase in demand for them, what are our beloved town council up to? Selling off a small plot of land to developers to cram full of 'social housing' (what's that?). The area in question is part of a play site used by local children and their parents. It has no access (although I guess the developers will cut swathes through the green grass to provide it).
Thirty houses? And how many cars? And how much pollution? And how does this tie in with the 'greening' of our towns and cities?
Questions I bet Harpenden Town Council can't, or won't, answer. This is a small oasis for residents, their pets and kids. Sorry guys - Harpenden Town Council says no! As for 'permission from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister' - wasn't that John Prescott, the man who wanted to carpet the country with housing estates?
You may also want to watch:
Come on Harpenden Town Council. Wise up. Give local people their recreational and allotment spaces and cease from this greedy, land-grabbing, money-making enterprise. Or maybe you could section off half an acre of West Common for your 'social housing'. No? Thought not.
- 1 Teen suicide prevention charity appoints first ambassador
- 2 Parish council reveals £250K financial scandal over 11 years
- 3 de Havilland Aircraft Museum awarded £90k grant as it plans for May reopening
- 4 Abbey Theatre banner vanishes from St Albans park railings
- 5 Former St Albans Mayor celebrates golden wedding
- 6 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 7 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 8 Fantastic Mr Fox rescued from balcony with help of RSPCA
- 9 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Giant glass wings installed at St Albans Cathedral to offer 'Solace' in loss