All the hype
SIR, — I was interested to read your story about 3,500 speed camera illegal convictions (Herts Advertiser, February 21). I feel sorry for people who have had their lives and careers ruined in the name of safety . I chair the voluntary Potters Bar and St
SIR, - I was interested to read your story about 3,500 speed camera illegal convictions (Herts Advertiser, February 21). I feel sorry for people who have had their lives and careers ruined in the name of "safety". I chair the voluntary Potters Bar and St Albans Transport User Group - and also am a committee member with Abfly rail user group incidentally.
I was interested to read that there are now 74 static camera sites in Herts, but there were 114 sites until recently. This suggests that despite all the hype, cameras are just not working. Just ask my director who lost his son before last Xmas, or my brother in law who had his car written off in the M1 road works last year, despite loads of cameras. There were deaths last year on the A4147 and Holywell Hill, within walking distance from my house on roads that also have cameras.
Perhaps the Herts Advertiser will join Abfly's campaign to restore late-night trains between Watford and St Albans for drinkers and clubbers to reduce accidents, and start a campaign to regulate all street cameras through the planning system so we know what is going on and avoid this sort of fiasco and get our roads repaired.
You may also want to watch:
Chair, Potters Bar and St Albans Transport User Group.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 4 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 9 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 10 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions