Abbey trees plea
SIR - The planting of a commemorative rose by the Abbey to keep alive the memory of the vistims of nuclear weapons is rightly applauded. What may not have been noticed is that the rose replaces a commemorative cherry tree understandably and appropriately
SIR - The planting of a commemorative rose by the Abbey to keep alive the memory of the vistims of nuclear weapons is rightly applauded.
What may not have been noticed is that the rose replaces a commemorative cherry tree understandably and appropriately planted in the Abbey Orchard.
Whether the Abbey Orchard is the exact orginal location of the Abbey's ancient orchard (like the Abbey's vinyard - or Vintry) doesn't so much matter as much as the preservation and replacement of trees there.
It probably escapes most people's notice that there are no fruit trees, apple or otherwise, in the Abbey 'Orchard' or that there is a policy of letting trees die and not replacing them so that the orchard is becoming a green desert.
You may also want to watch:
English Heritage has been blamed for not allowing any soil disturbance due to the area's Scheduled Ancient Monument staus but appear unwilling to look at alternatives to provide space for some of Hertfordshire's endangered native fruit trees (there used to be 6,000 varieties - many local, like St Albans Pippin, originally from Kent).
Meanwhile a creeping desolation is spreading where there should be at least some greenery and blossom. And it is being maintained at Council expense. Time for restoration.
- 1 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 2 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 3 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 4 Why is there a 50mph speed limit on small section of A414?
- 5 Police swoop on organised gangs as part of major operation
- 6 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role
- 7 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 8 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 9 Oaklands College principal leaving after 10 years
- 10 Charity for older people has busiest year ever during pandemic
Time for http://abbeyorchardproject.org/ petition.htm