Saints well beaten away at AFC Totton

PUBLISHED: 09:52 05 November 2012

ST ALBANS City crashed to a 3-0 Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division defeat away at AFC Totton on Saturday.

It was the Saints first game for two weeks and they were caught napping with less than 10 minutes on the clock at the Testwood Stadium as a Mike Gosney’s free-kick was headed over keeper Nick Jupp and in by Jamie Whisken.

Things got even worse for David Howell’s City side as on 20 minutes Curtis Ujah gave away a penalty for upending Richard Gillespie and Gosney converted the spot-kick.

Just before the break St Albans had a sniff of goal when top scorer Lewis Toomey rounded keeper Gareth Barfoot but sent his effort off target.

The visitors had the greater of the possession after the break, but could not turn that into goals.

In fact it was from one of their own attacks that Totton broke away and hammered in the final nail to the coffin with 20 minutes to play.

Dave Allen halted a City attack and fed Jon Davies, he was somehow allowed to run the length of the pitch and beat Jupp to net his side’s third of the afternoon.

City will get the chance to forget this game quickly as they travel away to Redditch United on Tuesday night before hosting Weymouth at Clarence Park on Saturday.

More news stories


Record numbers of Remembrance Day spectators gathered in Radlett to witness a spitfire flight display and take part in a special centenary service.


Crowds linked arms in tribute to orphans during a special centenary Remembrance Day service in London Colney.


A St Albans-based author held a launch party to celebrate the release of her debut paranormal crime thriller novel.


A historic landmark has unveiled a memorial specifically for St Albans train employees who died during World War One.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Read the The Herts Advertiser e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Herts Advertiser weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy