Ex-Fulham striker Barry Hayles unsure of next move

09:31 09 August 2012

Barry Hayles in action for St Albans City

Barry Hayles in action for St Albans City


FORMER Fulham striker Barry Hayles is unsure who he will be playing for when the new season kicks-off in nine days time, despite wearing the St Albans City number 10 shirt in a friendly last night (Wednesday).

Hayles turned out for David Howell’s Saints at Clarence Park as they were narrowly beaten 2-1 by League One’s Stevenage, one of the 40-year-old’s former clubs.

Speaking to The Herts Advertiser after the match, in which he set up Lewis Toomey’s goal, he said: “I quite enjoyed it, I never had any clear cut chances, but it was one of those games.”

The forward, who Fulham paid Bristol Rovers £2million for in 1998, had not trained with The Saints and arrived ahead of the Stevenage game without meeting his team-mates.

“I just popped in before the game and didn’t know anyone’s name, but I thoroughly enjoyed it,” he said.

“I’ve been fortunate that the phone has rung and I’m trying to decide what I’m going to be doing, the season starts in just over a week and I want to push on for one more season.”

Hayles played more than 150 games for Stevenage before moving to Bristol Rovers and then Fulham in a £2 million deal, helping them into the Premier League.

More recently, he has been scoring the goals that helped Cornish side Truro City up from the Evo-Stik Premier into Blue Square South then kept them there last season.

However, it looks like he will be joining a new club for the 2012/13 season.

“I have been training for Chesham and the manager has been trying tie me down there, but I owed it to David Howell to come and play a game for him, I’ve done that and so we’ll have a chat and go from there.

“I’m ready to go for the season next Saturday, but who for I don’t know yet!”


More news stories

Image provided by Landmark showing the location of Fontmell Close, overlaying a map from 1878. Crown Copyright and Landmark Information Group Limited 2015. All Rights Reserved.

A large historic clay pit sits beneath the surface of last week’s mammoth sinkhole, as seen in images prepared for this paper.

Yesterday, 21:00
Disabled people cannot cross the accessway over the Abbey Flyer railway in Cottonmill estate. Photo courtesy of Willem Hofland

Network Rail has copped yet more flak over its mishandling of a level crossing footpath in St Albans, with disabled people struggling to cross the re-opened accessway.

Yesterday, 19:00
County Councilor Richard Thake speaks to police in the sinkhole cordon

There was a sense of panic and uncertainty at Batchwood Leisure Centre last week as those evacuated from houses in the proximity of the sinkhole were forced to make unexpected arrangements.

Yesterday, 17:40
Jack and Harry Langford are among families evacuated from Fontmell Close in St Albans after the sinkhole appeared.

The practicality of safely evacuating youngsters from the site of a dangerous sinkhole has resulted in an impressive ‘keep calm and carry on’ attitude among some of those affected, including a family of six.

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Read the The Herts Advertiser e-edition E-edition