Hatfield Town’s relegation battle takes a hit as Magpies soar to victory

10:18 29 March 2012

Hatfield Town scorer Daryl Smith, left, with Duncan Hardy who has joined the coaching staff

Hatfield Town scorer Daryl Smith, left, with Duncan Hardy who has joined the coaching staff


HATFIELD Town were undone by the tricks of an experienced striker as they slumped to a 4-1 defeat against Colney Heath on Tuesday night.

Ian Cooper proved a real thorn in the Hatfield backline as he won, and scored, two penalties - both of which were fiercely contested by The Blueboys outfit.

The match, which was played at the Letchworth County Ground as Hatfield can no longer host games at The Gosling Stadium due to stadium requirements, saw Town reduced to 10 men on 56 minutes when ex-Magpie Sam Hardy was shown a red card for fouling Cooper in the area.

Up until that point it was a well-contested and fairly even encounter, but Heath soon stamped their authority on under-resourced Hatfield to run out as comfortable victors.

Former Stevenage and Barnet footballer Duncan Hardy was in the dugout as he helps out on the coaching front following the sacking of Darryn Stewart.

Dean Parratt went close early on after the Town keeper Sam Lacey fumbled a through-ball when challenged by Cooper and Parratt was quick to respond, but his shot curled just past the upright.

It was Hatfield who took the lead on 20 minutes when David Reade expertly flicked on to centre-forward Daryl Smith and he coolly slotted home to put his side 1-0 up.

Colney gave the ball away straight away at the kick-off and Blackman had his palms stung by a fierce drive by Smith again, only to collect the rebound.

Hatfield bossed most of the first half in fairness, with the ‘visitors’ seemingly reliant on the long ball into the channels for Cooper to run on to.

The first game-changing incident involving the lively Cooper happened four minutes before half-time.

The hitman made a burst into the area, only to be tripped by a stray foot from Steve O’Boy, although the latter will arguably claim Cooper went down far too easily..

Cooper dusted himself down to plant the ball straight down the middle to make the score 1-1.

Buoyed by the equaliser, things got even better for Heath just before the interval.

Kevin Ashwood combined with Cooper and Dickie to set up a chance for ex Welwyn Garden City midfielder Jason Williams, and he calmly sidefooted the ball into an empty net.

Hatfield had a superb chance to level things up just two minutes into the second half, but following some great work out wide from Reade, Ashley Dray planted his header the wrong side of the crossbar.

Just shy of the hour-mark, Cooper latched on to a mistake from Hatfield defender Hardy and broke into the area, only for Hardy to drag him back. The referee had no choice but to issue a red card to the Hatfield man.

Cooper’s penalty was saved by Lacey but the rebound came back to him, and he respondest quickest to make it 3-1.

The win was sealed with 10 minutes to go in bizarre circumstances. Ashwood rushed down a poor clearance and the ball rebounded off him some 30 yards out, and over Lacey into the Hatfield goal for a 4-1 scoreline.

Blackman made a good save with his feet with 12 minutes to go to preserve Colney Heath’s lead after Lee Newman broke clear and fired an effort powerfully at goal.

Related articles


More news stories

49 minutes ago
Three homes in the Verulam estate were targeted between November 25 - 27

Three homes in the same estate were targeted in the space of two days last week.

49 minutes ago
Ian Bangs, at Parkside View, formerly Caroline Sharpe House, in St Albans

A fiercely independent disabled man is frustrated as he cannot close his front door or access the rooftop garden at a recently opened assisted care home in St Albans.

Rob Maiella pictured at home

A dad-of-two from St Albans, whose young family were hoping to benefit from a modest extension to their house over the summer, has spoken of his frustration with the district council’s delayed response to his planning application.

Yesterday, 19:30
The Crown pub

Complaints about pub-goers being rowdy in a recently extended beer garden have helped stymie a bid to allow smokers to use the outside area after 11pm.

John Snelgrove with members of his team

A Eureka moment riding his motorcycle back to the UK from the south of Spain led a St Albans optician to found a life-changing international charity, just the latest chapter in a remarkable career.

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Read the The Herts Advertiser e-edition E-edition