Colney Heath downed at home as Biggleswade FC recover from FA Vase heartbreak

PUBLISHED: 21:42 09 January 2018

Joe Newton was a source of danger for Colney Heath.


Joe Newton was a source of danger for Colney Heath. Picture: KARYN HADDON


Biggleswade FC bounced back immediately from their FA Vase disappointment with a 2-0 win at Colney Heath.

Goals from Tom Coles and Tyler Ingram saw FC to the three Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division points, banishing any of the pain from the 2-1 defeat to Thatcham on Saturday.

For Heath it stretches their winless run in the league to five.

The opening goal came from the penalty spot - and as they usually are, it was much debated.

To be fair there may have been a case. It wasn’t so much whether it was a foul but whether it was inside or outside the box.

It was very close as Taishan Griffith cut inside from the right but the referee said in, something which didn’t change even after consultation with his linesman.

Meanwhile Coles waited and when he finally got the go-ahead, he stuck it away to the left of Steve Cunningham and into the corner.

That came on 16 minutes and almost lost in the debate was the loss of Isa Rotimi to a hamstring injury, something which caused a slight formation change for the Magpies.

It took them a little while to settle after it but despite FC passing the ball around for fun for most of the half, Cunningham was only really tested once; Taishan Griffith taking a touch inside the box after being set-up by Coles but failing to get any power in the shot.

And one plus point for Colney was the amount of ball given away by the visitors, and in dangerous areas.

They had their chances, most notably after a great turn and cross by Joe Newton found Tom Carter in the middle.

But he only got the slightest of touches when the thickest of contacts was needed.

Newton had the last chance of the half, again from a good cross, but he couldn’t get over the ball and it went over the bar.

Any home hopes that the break would bring in a change in the pattern of the game were soon forgotten.

Biggleswade started brightly and although Jack Woods was close twice in just a few seconds, it seemed likely that the visitors would be next to score.

Cunningham had already made an instinctive save from an Adam Hunt free-kick but he was beaten just before the hour by a stunning strike by Ingram from a good way out.

The Biggleswade midfielder almost scored again minutes later but Cunningham dived to his right to save and then Leavers fired well over from the resulting corner.

A double substitution didn’t help although a shot with 10 minutes to go could have made it interesting had Green not made the save.

But the only half chances that came in the final stages belonged to the visitors who closed the game out comfortably.

Colney Heath: Cunningham, Lewis, Carter (Byron 64), Doolan, Sedgley, Clarke-Mardel, Rotimi (Durdenec 17), Osborne (Hill 64), Woods, Carr, Newton

Sub (not used): Jones


Biggleswade: Green, Hunt, Holmes, Marsh, Woodend, Lenton, Ingram, Ives, Leavers, Coles, Griffith

Subs (not used):

Goals: Coles (pen) 16, Ingram 59


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Herts Advertiser visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Herts Advertiser staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Herts Advertiser account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Yesterday, 19:00

The chief executive responsible for St Albans City Hospital has resigned.

Yesterday, 18:00

Court results published by the Herts Advertiser are taken from St Albans, Stevenage and Hatfield Magistrates Court and are published without prejudice.

Yesterday, 17:00

Rail operator Thameslink has being barraged with questions from all sides as the public demand answers ahead of controversial timetable changes being introduced this May.

Yesterday, 16:24

Six registered sex offenders from Hertfordshire are wanted because their whereabouts are unknown, police have today confirmed – and officers have appealed for the public’s help tracking down three of them.

Most read stories

Local business directory

Hertfordshire's trusted business finder

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Read the The Herts Advertiser e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter