Warning after teenager died in Radlett after inhaling toxic gases

PUBLISHED: 15:01 18 May 2013

Joseph Bennett

Joseph Bennett


THE grieving father of a 17-year-old boy who died after inhaling what he thought was laughing gas at a friend’s party in Radlett has warned teenagers against taking such substances.

A recent inquest at Herts Coroner’s Court was told that Joseph Benett believed he was taking nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, when offered a canister marked “Smelly Balloon”.

However tests later revealed that the canister contained a lethal cocktail of toxic gases including butane, which is used as a lighter fuel, and pentane, which is used to make polystyrene.

His friend Harry Ingram, 18, had brought the canister back from Israel, and the small print including the ingredients was written in Hebrew script.

The inquest heard that Harry had bought two of the canisters, which had each come with a pair of balloons, at a news agency in Tel Aviv, where he had been on holiday.

He said: “Out there, if you’re sitting at a bar on the beach, you will constantly hear the sound of these canisters being used. It’s very popular. People inhale it to have a laugh.

“It’s sold as laughing gas.”

Harry, who went to school with Joseph, invited five friends to his house in Radlett when he got home from Israel on August 31 last year.

The inquest heard that all the boys had tried inhaling nitrous oxide on previous occasions.

Harry and another friend tried inhaling the Smelly Balloon gas and felt light-headed. But when Joseph, who attended University College in Hampstead, had a go, his eyes rolled back and he stopped breathing.

An ambulance was called but by the time medics revived him 21 minutes later he had suffered massive irreversible brain damage.

Joseph remained in a coma for nearly a month before being transferred to a hospice where he died the following day, on September 27 – two months before his 18th birthday.

The inquest was also told that following Joseph’s death, Harry’s parents flew to Tel Aviv to confront the shopkeeper who sold their son the gas. She denied knowing it was dangerous but when they raised it with Israeli authorities, Smelly Balloon was withdrawn from sale in the country.

Coroner Edward Thomas recorded a verdict of accidental death, and said the boys had been playing “Russian roulette” by inhaling the gas – pointing out that even nitrous oxide could be lethal.

He added: “Inhaling this stuff is not always fatal, but it can be. And if you’re okay the first time, it doesn’t mean you’ll be okay the second time. It could kill you the first or the 10th time that you try it.”

In a statement after the inquest Joseph’s parents Rosann and David Benett, a photographer who works for the London Evening Standard, said: “His death is a tragedy beyond words and not a moment goes by without us thinking of our son.”

David was quoted in the Standard saying that Joseph’s death was a “warning to all those young guys who think they’re invincible. Don’t abuse anything if you don’t know what it is.”

More news stories


Plans to chop down trees in St Peter’s Street to restore a historic vista in front of the new Museum + Gallery have been axed.


Thousands of people are expected to attend a six-hour street party in St Albans as part of the upcoming Alban Weekend.


Amid the chaos on the railways, Conservative MPs yesterday rejected a vote of no confidence in Transport Secretary Chris Grayling. In an exclusive opinion piece, Hitchin and Harpenden MP Bim Afolami explains why he voted as he did.

Plans to build 1,000 houses on the edge of Redbourn could end up back on the table – after councillors refused to fully rule them out.


One of my favourite summer activities as a child was pond-dipping. I was fortunate enough to grow up in a house with a fairly large pond in the garden and so my pond-dipping activities often extended over days and weren’t as much dipping as a thorough exploration of the life in the pond.

Digital Edition

Read the The Herts Advertiser e-edition E-edition

Local business directory

Hertfordshire's trusted business finder
Zoo Watch CountryPhile

Newsletter Sign Up

Herts Advertiser weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read stories


Show Job Lists

Herts Most Wanted Herts Business Awards