Sunbed fire at St Albans gym

15:51 13 June 2012

Fire engine

Fire engine

Archant

A ST ALBANS shopping centre manager has praised the response of staff and the emergency services after a fire broke out in a city centre gym last night (Tuesday).

Fire crews from St Albans were called to Fitness First, in Christopher Place, after a blaze broke out in a sunbed room, shortly before 8.20pm.

The building had to be evacuated, as did the near-by Wagamama restaurant.

Fire crews used two sets of breathing apparatus, one jet and one hose reel to extinguish the flames.

The fire was all out by 8.40pm and the cause has been listed as accidental.

Centre manager Catherine Morris said: “The evacuation procedure was carried out fantastically and everyone worked really well together as a team.”

The gym is open as normal today (Wednesday).

More news stories

15:00
The annual St Albans Scouts' St George's Day Parade took place on Sunday, April 26, 2015

Hundreds lined the streets of St Albans on Sunday for the annual Scouts’ St George’s parade through the city, with a service ending at the Abbey for the Renewal of Promise.

07:09
Mikel Arteta of Arsenal looks forward to meeting Aston Villa in the FA Cup final

Arsenal star Mikel Arteta is “very enthusiastic” ahead of today’s (Saturday) FA Cup final at Wembley.

Rowan business development manager Sharon Brant, internationally renowned textile designer Kaffe Fassett and Gardens of the Rose's Roz Hamilton before Kaffe's talk

One of the best-known names in fabric design and knitwear, Kaffe Fassett, was at the Gardens of the Rose in Chiswell Green last week to celebrate 50 years in textiles.

Yesterday, 18:00
Court report

A 65-year-old Jewish woman was found guilty of a ‘hate crime’ against two young Muslim men at St Albans Magistrates Court, last Friday (May 22).

”North ”Calendar"/

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the The Herts Advertiser e-edition today E-edition