St Albans shed fire caused by barbecue embers

PUBLISHED: 13:45 18 May 2016 | UPDATED: 13:45 18 May 2016

Kebabs offer a healthy alternative to barbecues.

Kebabs offer a healthy alternative to barbecues.

Archant

A shed fire which started while the owners were asleep on Tuesday (17) morning was caused by remnants of a barbecue.

Embers from the coals, which were left in the barbecue appliance, are thought to have blown onto the garden shed at the property in Vesta Avenue, St Albans.

Firefighters were called to the address at about 3am and left the scene at about 4.30am after successfully extinguishing the blaze.

A person from St Albans fire service said that the barbecue owner had done the right thing in leaving the hot coals in the barbecue and not disposing of them elsewhere while they were still hot.

No one was hurt during the incident.

More news stories

St Albans MP Anne Main has toured a number of city pubs which have been badly affected by a business rate increase.

13:13

If you fancy a good laugh, a comedy club night returns to a St Albans venue this week with a quality line-up of four stand-ups.

A major St Albans business is putting aside money to stockpile food in case of a no-deal Brexit.

07:41

The decision on whether to allow stables to be built on a community meadow in St Albans has been deferred by the council’s planning referrals committee.

CountryPhile

Recently we, as a family (minus two of the kids), visited The Lodge RSPB reserve in Sandy, Bedfordshire. I had never been before, which is perhaps amiss of me as a birdwatcher as it is the headquarters of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds or RSPB and only 45 minutes drive from home.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the The Herts Advertiser e-edition E-edition
Zoo Watch CountryPhile

Newsletter Sign Up

Herts Advertiser weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Herts Most Wanted Herts Business Awards