St Albans NHS blood scandal victim praises appointment of inquiry head

PUBLISHED: 17:00 25 February 2018

Factor VIII was often contaminated with diseases.

Factor VIII was often contaminated with diseases.

(c) marc marnie

A victim of the NHS blood scandal has praised the appointment of a High Court judge to oversee the public inquiry.

Factor VIII was often contaminated with diseases. Factor VIII was often contaminated with diseases.

Sir Brian Langstaff will head an investigation into who is responsible for the infection of thousands of haemophiliacs with hepatitis C and HIV in the 1970s and 80s.

Haemophiliacs caught diseases from a plasma treatment called Factor VIII - although very effective, it had been concocted by mixing blood donations from numerous people and just one diseased sample would compromise the whole batch.

Plasma donations were taken from paid prisoners and drug users in the United States and then shipped to the NHS.

St Albans mum Nicky, who only reveals her first name, was one of 4,600 people who caught hepatitis C, but fortunately she had recovered by 1997.

She said the inquiry is her only chance for justice: “It’s paramount that Sir Brian Langstaff realises the extent of what happened and how to this day it’s still being covered up.

“Victims and their families want answers - we know the questions and we now want to be answered with honesty.”

She feels haemophiliacs were treated like animals to be researched: “To give haemophiliacs treatment from up to 10,000 people was going to always have implications. To say that haemophiliacs are human chimpanzees shows that what happened was calculated.”

In a BBC Panorama episode aired last year, it was revealed that the risks of Factor VIII were known well before its widespread use was curbed. At the time, patients’ blood started to be tested without consent or knowledge.

The inquiry will start on May 1 after Sir Brian has retired from the High Court.

Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and minister for the Cabinet Office, David Lidington, said: “The victims of this tragedy who have endured so much pain and hardship deserve answers.”

He added: “It is very important that the inquiry can identify why and how this tragedy occurred and provide answers for all the victims who have suffered so terribly, and can identify lessons to be learned so that a tragedy of this scale can never happen again.”

There has been a previous inquiry in 2009 and compensation for some victims, but that did not include Nicky because she did not meet certain qualifying criteria.

Five hundred victims, including Nicky, are also in the process of suing the government.

More news stories

Yesterday, 19:00

Civic development watchdogs have released a detailed critique of the district’s emerging housing blueprint.

Yesterday, 15:20

A con artist who scammed £50,000 from elderly people in St Albans and Radlett has been jailed for four and a half years.

Yesterday, 14:14

Run alongside anxiety specialist Stacey Turner, the Herts Ad’s It’s OK To Say campaign aims to encourage people of all ages to speak up about mental health concerns before they escalate and obtain the support needed for a healthy and happy life. Here, Stacey looks at the first steps towards obtaining help...

Yesterday, 13:01

A thief stole sat navs, power tools, sunglasses, cash, passports and even an electric guitar from unlocked or insecure cars in St Albans and Hatfield.

CountryPhile

St Leonard’s Church in Sandridge is holding a Harvest Festival service with farmers and their families.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the The Herts Advertiser e-edition E-edition
Zoo Watch CountryPhile

Newsletter Sign Up

Herts Advertiser weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Herts Most Wanted Herts Business Awards