Shedding light on fire risks

PUBLISHED: 10:52 13 March 2008 | UPDATED: 13:05 06 May 2010

A CAMPAIGN has been launched by the fire service to educate people about the dangers of tea lights. The use of tea lights without a holder is extremely hazardous and in 2005 two firefighters died trying to rescue a woman from a blaze in a Stevenage tower

A CAMPAIGN has been launched by the fire service to educate people about the dangers of tea lights.

The use of tea lights without a holder is extremely hazardous and in 2005 two firefighters died trying to rescue a woman from a blaze in a Stevenage tower block started by their use.

Cyndy Harper, the mother of Michael Miller, one of the dead firefighters, helped launch the tea light roadshow on Monday which later visited the Smallford and St Albans Oaklands College Campuses and the University of Herts.

She said: "Not a day goes by that I don't miss Michael. It's heartbreaking to think that his death could have been prevented by doing something so simple."

The campaign is being run by Herts Fire and Rescue Service with the support of Herts Trading Standards.

Chief Fire Officer, Roy Wisher, said: "This campaign is particularly important to us in Herts as we lost two valued colleagues in the Harrow Court fire. The tea light campaign is dedicated to their memory and we want to prevent anyone else losing their life in this tragic way."

He added: "Often people are unaware that the foil holder is only designed to contain the wax. But tea lights can reach extremely high temperatures - the foil container becomes extremely hot - so if they are placed directly onto a plastic surface like a television, stereo or even the edge of a bath, the tea light will burn through the plastic very quickly, causing a fire. And once that fire has started people would be horrified at the speed at which it can take hold of a room."

Always burn tea lights in a suitable, non-flammable holder on a heat-resistant surface, keep away from draughts or blowing curtains and never leave a candle unattended.

To show people the destructive consequences of using an unprotected tea light, Herts Fire and Rescue Service has created two short videos which can be viewed on www.hertsdirect.org/fire

More news stories

Yesterday, 19:00

Record numbers of Remembrance Day spectators gathered in Radlett to witness a spitfire flight display and take part in a special centenary service.

Yesterday, 16:23

Crowds linked arms in tribute to orphans during a special centenary Remembrance Day service in London Colney.

Yesterday, 15:04

A St Albans-based author held a launch party to celebrate the release of her debut paranormal crime thriller novel.

Yesterday, 12:58

A historic landmark has unveiled a memorial specifically for St Albans train employees who died during World War One.

CountryPhile

Recently we, as a family (minus two of the kids), visited The Lodge RSPB reserve in Sandy, Bedfordshire. I had never been before, which is perhaps amiss of me as a birdwatcher as it is the headquarters of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds or RSPB and only 45 minutes drive from home.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the The Herts Advertiser e-edition E-edition
Zoo Watch CountryPhile

Newsletter Sign Up

Herts Advertiser weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Herts Most Wanted Herts Business Awards