Sewage water leaks through St Albans restaurant ceiling into dining room

PUBLISHED: 11:09 28 September 2017 | UPDATED: 11:09 28 September 2017

Bill's restuarant on Chequers Street

Bill's restuarant on Chequers Street

Archant

A St Albans restaurant had to close when sewage water leaked through the ceiling and into the dining area.

On Friday evening a section of Bill’s in Chequer Street was cordoned off while patrons carried on eating, but eventually the whole restaurant had to shut to sort out the problem.

The seeping waste water was caused by a blocked pipe in the upstairs toilets.

Although the restaurant tried to reopen on Saturday morning, the drip reappeared and it had to close again.

A spokesperson from Bill’s said: “As soon as we were aware of a leak we took immediate steps to address the situation, ensuring that the appropriate areas of the restaurant were cordoned off and then closed for our customers’ safety.

“We worked closely with the EHO [Environmental Health Officer] and are pleased to say the situation is now resolved.”

She said Bill’s takes hygiene “extremely seriously” and “conduct regular internal audits and training to ensure [they] strive for a high level of hygiene in all [the] restaurants”.

St Albans district council (SADC) were also called to the eatery after a complaint from a diner.

Head of Community Services for SADC, Debbi White, said: “The officer confirmed there was a pipe blockage which was causing foul water to drip into the restaurant dining area. This was a potential health hazard.”

She said Bill’s management closed voluntarily to allow for investigations and to solve the issue.

Adding: “The restaurant briefly reopened on Saturday morning only for the problem to return in the afternoon before it was finally resolved on Sunday.

“We remained in contact with the management over the weekend and on Monday carried out a further inspection to ensure there were no remaining food safety issues.”

Bill’s in St Albans was previously a Cross Keys bar, but was been refurbished by the chain in 2013. It serves meals from breakfast through to dinner.

Were you in the restaurant when the leakage occurred? Get in contact at hertsad@archant.co.uk

More news stories

52 minutes ago

A major St Albans business is putting aside money to stockpile food in case of a no-deal Brexit.

07:41

The decision on whether to allow stables to be built on a community meadow in St Albans has been deferred by the council’s planning referrals committee.

Yesterday, 17:00

A teenager who painted an iconic St Albans landmark has created popular Christmas cards of the designs.

Yesterday, 12:00

Personal debt levels in Harpenden rose by 11 per cent in the three months leading up to October.

CountryPhile

Recently we, as a family (minus two of the kids), visited The Lodge RSPB reserve in Sandy, Bedfordshire. I had never been before, which is perhaps amiss of me as a birdwatcher as it is the headquarters of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds or RSPB and only 45 minutes drive from home.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the The Herts Advertiser e-edition E-edition
Zoo Watch CountryPhile

Newsletter Sign Up

Herts Advertiser weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Herts Most Wanted Herts Business Awards