“Justin Bieber”, “Susan Boyle” and “Stevie Wonder” among guests as Harpenden Facebook party spirals out of control

12:00 18 September 2010

Clarendon Court, Harpenden.  Facebook party.

Clarendon Court, Harpenden. Facebook party.

Archant

WHAT started as plans for a birthday party among few friends escalated out of control this week when 21,000 people signed up to the event online.

A Harpenden teenager thought to be in Year 9 at Sir John Lawes school posted details of the house party – which was planned for Thursday, October 7, – on Facebook complete with her address and phone number.

When more than 21,000 people signed up for the event – which is taking place at a location in Harpenden we have chosen not to name – the posting was taken down, but since then a number of spin-off groups have popped up on the social networking site and have re-posted the address.

One of the event pages insists that the party is still going ahead and nearly 7,000 people have accepted the invitation with more than 1,270 people putting themselves down as ‘maybe attending’.

The page has attracted a huge number of fake celebrity followers – including Justin Bieber, Stephen Hawking, Stevie Wonder, Susan Boyle and Rick Astley – who have all posted messages on the page.

The teenager’s concerned mother has even posted a message on the page telling people the party is cancelled which was met with a tirade of highly offensive abuse from some members of the event group.

Other groups have been established inviting people along to a pre-party, after-party, clear-up party and ‘hang-over’ party and several people have also attempted to mimic the teenager’s profile to post messages on the various groups claiming that the party is going ahead.

One concerned Harpenden resident said: “More people than the population of Harpenden are supposedly attending and thus we are very concerned for our small and humble town on October 7.”

The police have now been called due to fears that thousands of people will descend on the small street.

Harpenden Neighbourhood Sergeant Lewis Ducket said: “We are aware of this and have been assured that the event is no longer taking place. I would urge people who may be planning to come to Harpenden for the party to make other plans. We will have officers on patrol in the area on October 7 to provide a reassuring presence and who will be able to deal with any issues, should they arise.”

Anyone with any concerns can call the neighbourhood team on 0845 3300222.

1 comment

  • I'm sorry, but I fail to see what a few members of the police force are going to do if confronted with over 9000 attendees to this party. Will they call the army??

    Report this comment

    J_Doe

    Tuesday, September 21, 2010

More news stories

20:06
Chile train at Arsenal's training ground in London Colney in preparation for their friendly with Brazil

Chile international striker and Arsenal star Alexis Sanchez was singled out for praise at the Gunners’ training grounds in London Colney late today (Saturday) ahead of tomorrow’s international friendly against Brazil.

18:00
Suzy Moody from Home-Start with Mercer & Hole's Maria Bailey and Helen Price

Staff from a St Albans chartered accountants hosted a Mother’s Day event for local mums, carers and young children to celebrate their 110th year of business.

Sheppard Frere

The archaeologist whose ground-breaking excavations at Verulamium revealed that the Roman city was destroyed by Boudicca’s army in AD60-61 has died at the age of 98.

06:00
Thameslink train

Our election team, made up of a diverse selection of Herts Ad readers, have been asked for their thoughts on the key issues in this election, and what they think could sway voters to support different candidates, and we will be publishing their comments over the coming weeks.

”North ”Calendar"/

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the The Herts Advertiser e-edition today E-edition