Club's search for missing captains
PUBLISHED: 11:22 06 March 2008 | UPDATED: 13:01 06 May 2010
PRIDE of place in golf clubs throughout the world are the portraits of the members who have achieved high office – the captains, men who have given dedicated service during their membership and earned this rare distinction. Verulam Golf Club, St Albans,
PRIDE of place in golf clubs throughout the world are the portraits of the members who have achieved high office - the captains, men who have given dedicated service during their membership and earned this rare distinction.
Verulam Golf Club, St Albans, is no exception. In the club's lounge their portrait gallery shows photographs of captains going back to the club's foundation in 1905, among them the most famous of all, Samuel Ryder, three times captain and donor of the Ryder Cup.
Sadly for the club, however, a survey has revealed that not every captain's picture is on display - and the search is on to trace relatives, friends or anyone who can offer a clue that would lead to the discovery of photographs of the missing captains, going back to the club's inception and including two world wars. And that's a challenge taken on by three present-day members of the club, all former captains.
"Recently, we have been checking all records, minutes of annual meetings, as well as trophy competitions in a comprehensive survey, and were shocked to find that 13 captains' portraits were missing," says Anthony Bolino, who with colleagues Richard West and David Mitchell is appealing to anyone who has even the slightest knowledge or hearsay of any of the missing 13 to get in contact.
There are the names of two Phillips and two Ansons, suggesting maybe fathers and sons or brothers.
The Hon Frederick William Anson was captain in 1909-1910, his address given as Cell Barnes Manor and Guards Club, born 04/02/1863, died 02/04/1917.
Captain in 1925-26 was Major Ernald Henry Anson, address Gombards, St Albans, and the Guards Club, born 18/06/1893, died 29/09/1953.
Captain in 1910-11 was Arthur Frederick Phillips, of Priory View, Grosvenor Road, St Albans, and succeeding him as captain from 1912-13, Albert Ernest Phillips, St Stephens Hill, St Albans, with no reference to dates of birth or death.
The earliest captain listed is George Ernest Marten, in office 1906/07, the year after the club's formation, a provision agent with various addresses - 12 Grafton Street, Bond Street, 2 The Bank, High Street, 7 Ashburn Place, SW7, 40 Finchley Road, date of birth 1877.
The other captains whose portraits are missing are:
1913-14: G. M. Brimelow, 9 Approach Road, St Albans, Carlyle House, Bolton; Born in Bolton, illustrator of books;
1915-16: T. H. Robinson, Battlefield Road, St Albans
1916/17: James (J.P.) Parker, York Cottage, York Road, St Albans.
1917/20: F. B. Goodchild, C/o Dr. Brittain, St Albans Road, Hatfield, life member.
1923-24: Harold George F. MacDonald, St Annes, Harpenden;
1924-25: T. E. Wills, The Shrubs, London Road, St Albans.
1936-37: Herbert Chester Woolner (known as Peter). Born Epsom.
1941-43: H. Hall.
If any reader is able to give any information about the club captains listed, please contact Antho ny Bolino, telephone 01442 399396, email email@example.com .